Stovetop method: Place them in a large saucepan. If the ends are too tough to peel, remove them with a knife. Plant milk: My go-to for mashed rutabagas is full-fat canned coconut milk, but I had oat milk on hand so I went with that! Mashed Rutabaga and Squash with Roasted Garlic (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-free) November 12, 2013 By Becky 2 Comments Mashed rutabaga and squash with roasted garlic is a paleo and vegan … If you try this recipe, I want to hear about it! Posted on September 11, 2016 by The Allergy Chef Leave a comment. Any vegan butter would probably work well here except for the ones made with olive oil. Rutabagas Hasselback. Mistaken for a turnip which it resembles but takes on an orangish and dirty purple look, sounds good! Since there is so much natural flavor, it doesn’t need a lot of help with heavy gravy or mounds of extras. Feel free to post your creations to Instagram or Facebook and tag Hell Yes It’s Vegan or #hellyesitsvegan. Sub potatoes: I get it, you don’t like rutabagas. Lastly, as an optional step, you can add the mashed rutabagas with miso butter to a casserole dish and broil the top until browned for 5-10 minutes in the oven. Rutabaga Recipes. Peel rutabagas and cut into 1/2-inch slices, then cut into cubes. You can even stream it right here in your browser. You won’t want to go back to potatoes! Your email address will not be published. Ingredients. Stir in the butter and mix with enough broth to achieve a thick puree. Making mashed rutabagas with miso butter is super easy. Plus, adding ghee, coconut milk, and nutmeg make this thing soooo luxurious! Rutabaga needs a little sweetness to cut some of the bitter flavors. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. You can decide how much sugar it needs based on your preference. The longer you cook them, the more their natural sweetness comes out, so don’t pull them off the heat too soon. 2. While the water heats, turn to your rutabagas. Drain and mash adding butter, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup milk or meat stock while the rutabagas are still hot. 1 pound peeled and chopped rutabaga. All you need is a medium-sized pot, a potato peeler, a knife, a cutting board, a small bowl, a strainer, measuring spoons, a measuring cup, a small whisk, a hand mixer, and a casserole dish. Hell Yes It’s Vegan shares fun, vibrant, vegan recipes for all diets and walks of life straight from Phoenix, AZ. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mash rutabaga to desired consistency, salt and pepper to taste. Add butter to a small bowl and whisk in miso until combined. Strain the water and return the rutabagas to the pot. Next, add the miso butter, oat milk, and spices and use a hand mixer to combine. Rutabagas are relatively easy to peel with a standard vegetable peeler. While the water heats, peel the rutabagas. I’m going to try making this recipe again on Thanksgiving with my Instant Pot so I’ll be sure to add that variation here once I know how long it takes to pressure cook the rutabagas. Update 10/29/2016: YOU GUYS!! Top with additional salt and pepper and serve. In this riff on potatoes hasselback, a single rutabaga is cut into thin slices … Alternatively cut the rutabaga into slices (2cm thick). Peeling and cut rutabaga into 3/4 inch cubes. This root vegetable is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip and delivers a very unique flavor. I’m so obsessed that every year I make them for the holidays and no one else cares – unless of course, I’m with my family. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Place cooked rutabaga in a large bowl and add butter, agave, raw sugar, turmeric, and dairy-free milk. Add more miso butter on top: Ever seen those photos of mashed potatoes and rutabagas with butter slopped all over the top kinda like olive oil on top of hummus? A rutabaga carrot mash is flavorful and make creamy with the addition of warmed cream and butter! Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the rutabagas are fully cooked. Mashed Rutabaga and Gold Yukon Potatoes - Vegan recipe Delicious and easy to make side dish for those who is tired of the same old spuds. You can unsubscribe at any time. This mashed rutabaga is a healthy side dish that is tasty, too. Start by bringing a medium-sized pot of water to a boil. In a large pot of boiling water add rutabaga. Simply peel the rutabaga, cut it in half, then cut each piece in half again and continue cutting lengthwise until you end up with large, thick wedges. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Skip the miso: If you leave out the miso, you’ll produce a result that’s very similar to the recipe I grew up with. Add the melted butter. Reheat frozen mashed rutabaga in a saucepan over medium-low heat, adding a little milk or butter if need be. rutabaga, olive oil, ground black pepper, bay leaves, large onion and 10 more Oven Roasted Vegetable & Noodle Soup Vegan Yack Attack dried parsley, noodles, black pepper, vegetable broth, kale, celery root and 7 more Required fields are marked *. Mash, add butter and season, to taste. Usually, they use heavy cream which I sub out for coconut milk, and butter which I swap for Earth Balance. Once the rutabagas are ready, drain them with a strainer and return them to the pot. Top rutabaga with ground pepper and favorite herbs. Just a heads up – this page contains some affiliate links which means I make a little bit of money if you click on select links and make a purchase. fresh basil, chives, sage, thyme, or parsley. Nutrition is an estimate and does not include optional ingredients. In this segment, I suggest a song for you to listen to while you make mashed rutabagas with miso butter! Freshly ground black pepper Instant Pot method: Place the rutabaga … As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can do that with mashed rutabagas too! * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Peel and wash the rutabagas, and dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. My favorite thing about miso butter is the complexity of the flavors. Rutabaga is a root vegetable that you can mash, sauté, roast, and steam. Nobody wants hard rutabaga bits when you’re supposed to be eating something smooth. It’s a Slattery family tradition that’s been passed down from generation to generation. Advertisement. Any plant-based milk will work though. Miso butter really amps up the taste of mashed rutabagas making it into a super special holiday side. Peel and cut up one rutabaga into small pieces. Cover pot and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. How to Cook with Rutabaga. Mashed Rutabaga. While the rutabagas cook, make the miso butter. I am here to tell you looks are deceiving, it might be ugly but it is beyond tasty. These rutabagas are made with minimal ingredients and are packed with flavor! Add oat milk, miso butter, onion powder, and garlic powder and use a hand mixer to beat the rutabagas until mashed. Red Lentil and Rutabaga Soup: This hearty vegan soup is packed with protein and nutrients. Mashed rutabagas will keep in the refrigerator covered in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. I’ve paired the rutabaga with carrots in this recipe but you could easily leave the carrots out if you prefer straight rutabaga. Mashed rutabagas with miso butter is perfect, IMO but if you’re looking for adaptations or substitutions, I have some ideas. Health Benefits of Rutabaga: 10 Ingredient Roasted Red Potato and Corn Soup, Rainbow Carrots with White Wine and Lemon, Roasted Beet Salad with Vegan Dill Dressing. Cover the pot and simmer the rutabagas for about 45 minutes to an hour until the rutabagas are soft. 1 pound peeled and chopped carrots. Drain, collecting the broth. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Your email address will not be published. Let simmer uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until the rutabagas are fork tender. This simple combination of miso and Earth Balance really ads a dimension to whatever you’re cooking. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rutabaga-carrot-casserole Dec 8, 2020 - Healthy and easy recipes with rutabaga, aka swede. Deselect All. Vegan Mashed Rutabaga Recipe. Miso butter is a new discovery of mine. I have some ideas! Try this spin on classic mashed potatoes, which calls for rutabaga along with the usual Yukon Gold potatoes. You can treat a rutabaga pretty much any way that you would a potato. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. What’s not to like! ! (This last step is optional) Add the mashed rutabagas with miso butter to a casserole dish, and broil in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until you get some browning. ; Potato and Rutabaga Gratin: A blend of potatoes and rutabagas makes this dish delightfully familiar, yet it packs an extra nutrient punch. Taste the rutabagas and add salt and pepper to taste. Aurora Steen‘s Rutabaga Fries With Basil Mayo are … Mashed rutabaga is a delicious, naturally sweet low-carb Thanksgiving side dish made even better with a little nutmeg. Slice the peeled rutabagas into 2-3 inch pieces and place in the pot. These cookies do not store any personal information. Check out these tasty rutabaga recipes or enjoy a few of your own potato or carrot recipes with a rutabaga twist. Can’t imagine how that would taste haha. To freeze, pack mashed rutabaga into freezer storage bags and squeeze out as much air as possible. Rutabaga Fries With Basil Mayo. Give it heat: Just a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes or Aleppo pepper could add a nice heat kick to mashed rutabagas with miso butter. If the ends are too tough cut them with a knife. Vegan Gluten Free Life Privacy Policy, Terms and Conditions, Contact Us. Just some basics you probably have on hand to pull the mashed rutabagas together. I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. It will probably save you a good chunk of time if you happen to have one on hand. Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper: Lastly, the spices. Add rutabaga to the meat. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. This was another almost-casualty of the Stuffed Veg Week series… Did you know that if you buy a large rutabaga, then try to hollow it out in its uncooked state, you will fail? Meanwhile, for the mashed rutabagas, peel the rutabagas and potatoes, rinse, cut into small cubes and cook for about 20 minutes in boiling broth. Peel and roughly chop 3 pounds rutabagas. If you forgot to leave out your vegan butter to thaw, microwave for 10 seconds. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, … Freeze for up to 12 months. Drain well and mash rutabaga with a potato masher or hand mixer until smooth. 1. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. When done remove some water from the pot. It has a naturally sweet and creamy flavor, making it far more entertaining to my palate than a standard potato.