However, the transmission should be inspected every 30,000 miles (or 36 months) for any leaks. I don't believe Toyota would include in any type of regular service so unless it was changed privately by a garage upon request then I don't think it would have been flushed. Torque Converter replacement: add an extra 0.4 litres of CVT fluid after initial refilling. Given the whine I was experiencing with my car I decided to change the CVT fluid myself. If you drive manual, most manufacturers will recommend changing your transmission fluid every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. The oil change frequency should depend on the environment and climate of the area where you drive the car. I recall it should be 8 quarts but unsure so I checked the CVT fluid change manual. If after removing drain plug there is a problem removing fill plug you could be stuffed refilling! Do not tighten this with much force, just only very slightly snug. Part number is 08886-02505. The oil change interval for CVT transmissions varies for each automaker. I don't see where the Prius should be even that much. For Camry owners who prefer synthetic oil, we recommend an oil change at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Clear editor. Torque Converter Removal and Refit: add an extra 0.4 litres of CVT fluid after initial refilling. The maintenance guide reflects this but is not required as per Toyota. Scheduled Camry service may also include an oil change and oil filter replacement. My IQ2 CVT has its 5th year service in April. When refilling and the Oil starts to trickle out of the inner plastic tube (which should be tightened to 0.8nm/7lbft) put back the drain plug and tighten to rated torque. Some say that changing CVT fluild is difficult, but I personally don't think so. I have a 2013 Toyota (Scion) iQ and seems to have the same CVT sealed tranny as the Toyota in Europe does. It will tell you to fill more if you have a new box or replaced a components compared to an Oil change. Reports of failure of the "eCVT" are rare, even when people have gone 200,000+ without changing the "eCVT" fluid. Once I changed the CVT fluid the noise completely disappeared. So paying him $180 doesn't seem too bad. On the iQ service schedule the transmission fluid is just inspected at year 4. It should be changed much sooner than automatic or manual transmission oil. (if it's new you can flush it but flushing is not recommended for mod high mileage transmissions), Interval ... nobody knows! I'm having mine dine next week, been quoted £115 by Steven Eagell in Bishops Stortford. The inner plastic tube torque is 0.8nm (7lbft). You can post now and register later. The material contained in the forums is submitted by the general public and is NOT endorsed by Toyota (GB) PLC or the Toyota Owners' Club. We have 2 Toyotas with CVT (2003, 2010) and are very happy with them -- no problems at all, and good to drive. Which is pretty much the same torque as slightly snug as you suggested in your first post. Refit filler plug and nip up only. they claim they can only change about half of the fluid at a time even with their equipment. ), Out of curiosity what's the special device? So you can only ever change a percentage of the oil at a time. When up to temp, remove drain plug and let excess flow out to a drip. Toyota Owners Club Upload or insert images from URL. New CVT gearbox with new Torque Converter: add an extra 1.4 litres of CVT fluid after initial refilling. The inner plastic tube needs to be tightened to 0.8nm (7 pounds per square INCH, not foot.) Sorry the translation is very bad, so I want to change the fluid of my CVT transmission on my IQ3 Racer. When I collected the car he said I'd had a result as the Oil alone cost £81 + vat. 2014 Toyota Corolla ECO 4dr Sedan CVT (SE) Trim Info: Front Wheel Drive, Sedan, Compact Cars 30 (Est) mpg city / 42 (Est) mpg hwy Other Trims. So you fill till it pours out the filler. If you rank auto maintenance items on a 1-10 scale, with 2 being an oil and filter change, CVT fluid drain and fill is probably a 4, maybe a 5. Not needed though if you have a filler plug on the top which, you say you have. Who knows how much fluid I have to buy? It should cost a bit more than an engine oil and filter change. The drain plug has a plastic tube inside. Made a great deal of difference for about 3 weeks then returned to the whine up hill. I had to leave the car with them for 3 days as they ordered in fluid but the wrong one was delivered so I had to wait for correct batch. THe only servicing you need to do it change the oil and filter (assuming you can get to it). I got exactly same problem as you , (strange noise like electric motor) can you text here please if that noise gone after replacing transmission fluid. - I would like to read it. Had my IQ2 serviced this week and CVT transmission fluid changed. If in doubt and you're already balls deep in to doing this job, just make sure you refill with exactly what was removed for safe measure. Oil Service. Thanks, I was able to get a little in there and then took the iQ to my mechanic (who is just down the street). Yep will be doing that side of it as I look further. Other CVT systems are supposed to be filled from underneath via a tool that attaches to it and fluid is pumped in until it starts to leak over the top of the fill tube. Display as a link instead, × Inspect or replace at specified intervals." There is a correct way to refill a CVT box and it requires torquing the plastic tube to allow the correct initial filling and final level check. Anyone know garage in london who can change transmision fluid for my IQ ? Regularly scheduled maintenance is a key component to preserving the life of your Toyota RAV4 SUV, and it also can increase your vehicle's resale value. I bet no one has a torque wrench that reads that low anyway. I've attached pic of invoice showing the job and will report back once I've driven it a few days. If you can't find the service interval for your particular transmission, you could do a lot worse than to just use this interval as your guide. The official Toyota website can be found at https://www.toyota.co.uk. You can order the fluid from Toyota Parts with this number. Usually needs to be 35-40 degrees Celsius. Quote; Post by 2016 Versa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm . takes about 20mins. Recommended Type of Transmission Oil for Toyota Yaris. It is a T55.   You cannot paste images directly. However, NISSAN recommends(not requires) a 60,000 CVT fluid change whereas HONDA(for example) recommends a 30,000 mile CVT fluid change. Do you have the repair manual demonstrating the fluid change? Just called Toyota dealer who's doing the service,  quoted £115 for change of transmission fluid, which I'll be investing in. So when you pour Oil in with the plastic fitted, it will fill to a predetermined level. The fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid. Once removed the fluid will drain. How has the CVT in everyone's Versa (if equipped with CVT) holding up? 2. So the Oil will drain upto the height of the plastic tube, if you remove the plastic tube you will completely drain the box. If you want the fluid changed you'll need to ask them to do it. Four vehicles (two equipped with AMSOIL CVT Fluid and two with Nissan NS-2 CVT Fluid) were driven 100,000 miles before the transmissions were torn down and inspected. takes about 20mins. The manual states: Continuously Variable Transmission fluid capacity: 3.5L(3.7 US qt) at change 7.6L(8.0 US qt) at overhaul That also matches my experience as the fluid still look really dark when I did the second drain. There's a couple of washers to replace, vs one with an oil change. Tightening by guessing effects both initial refill and final level check. It varies by age, mileage, useage & market. I normally check if the oil is clean, and the car has done ~50k since last change, I would replace just the fluid. Below is a list of car brands and models along with the suggested CVT fluid change schedule. Paste as plain text instead, × I agree the fluid should be changed at regular intervals, Oil analysis shows these boxes will deteriorate with factory filled fluid over time.   Pasted as rich text. Hi Toyota does not really have a recommended schedule as far as I know. 29/12/2020 5:38 pm. CVT fluid certainly wears out over time. Change the transmission fluid regularly, possibly every 30,000 kilometers. Powered by Invision Community, DISCLAIMER: Toyota Owners Club is an independent Toyota forum for owners of Toyota vehicles. Why don't you call the dealer? The only other system toyota use is the filler plug at the correct level. Nissan recommends fluid changes every 15,000 miles. Remove filler and drain plug , remove plastic pipe. If it's too hot you have to let it cool down, if it's too cold the wrong fluid level will be displayed. 4. But isn't pouring in new CVT fluid in the top (with the cap removed below) just going to go right back down that fill tube? Our Nissan Murano with a continuously variable transmission has a 90,000 fluid change interval. The club is not part of Toyota nor affiliated with or endorsed by Toyota in any way. 1. The fluid needs to get up to temp to be checked also and to assume they were filled correctly from factory is wrong so the correct method from the online repair manual is needed. He said the iQ is similar to the Mercedes transmission in that you have to do everything from the bottom and it required a special device to do that. You can get generic ally washers online for about 50p. Eg. Can't comment on whether it has solved the occasional winning noise  as just driven back from dealers. After that is when you add the amount required depending on why you are filling it. Probably means an Oil pump with a swan neck filler. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. If you have any more finesse in making this particular job even more successful please share. Trouble is you can't get all the oil out. At Toyota of Santa Barbara, our service center is here for you. I found the drain plug underneath and the fill plug up on the top. The low end for an automatic transmission fluid change interval is around 30,000 miles (a little under 50,000 km). I may keep both of these car at the 30K mile CVT fluid change interval. Refill till it drips out slowly. For my Honda its 60,000km then every 30,000km after that. The fluid was very dirty and was far from the transparent red wine colour is started its life as. This is on most hybrids and most manual boxes. You'll see it. Do you own this car? There are a number of steps involved to do the job correctly, but none of them are hard or technical. Oil-pan removal and fit (follow this one if you are just draining from the drain plug): add an extra 0.4 litres of CVT fluid after initial refilling. Kuneha, I've been looking at medium size Toyota cars recently. CVT fluid and change interval. It can be done by shorting pins out in the eobd port and cycling through P,N,D. With genuine fluid from Toyota. There doesn't seem to be any official Toyota Service Intervals for the CVT gearbox and I think a lot of people assume that they are therefore sealed for life. There doesn't seem to be any official Toyota Service Intervals for the CVT gearbox and I think a lot of people assume that they are therefore sealed for life. It’s worth noting that intervals for changing transmission fluid vary widely. From memory the CVTs with pipe are all similar. Leave the drain plug off and remove the fill plug from the top. Wish, Ipsum, etc. Manual transmissions require fluid changes every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Click to expand... i had a 2002 honda civic and the transmission started giving problems year 4 and got worse from there. Now, follow this information precisely so you have the correct fluid inside: (This fluid must be added after the initial filling when the Oil started to trickle out, this is essentially a top up and must be followed.). Refit plastic pipe and torque it, measure how much was drained. Refit drain plug, just nipped up. × The inner plastic tube needs to be screwed out with a similar sized allen head key as it is threaded the same as the drain plug. Your mechanic drains the transmission fluid, replaces the filter, then refills the transmission with fresh, new fluid. Drive shaft removal and replacement: add an extra 0.4 litres of CVT fluid after initial refilling. Your email has … There is truth and logic to both sides of the oil change debate, however, neither one is … I find it odd that the inner tube needs torqued as it comes to a complete stop once screwed completely in with releative ease. The fluid cost is slightly higher than (say) Toyota 0W20 engine oil, But there's no filter change, so basically next to no difference in parts. The chain/belt that transfers power requires clean, fresh oil to function properly. Once removed you can either choose to fill up the gearbox until the fluid starts to leak through the inner plastic tube or simply replace with the exact same amount that was removed providing you measure it accurately. There is no recommended service interval for the CVT Oil.Although you can if you wish have the Oil changed just ensure that the correct Toyota only CVT fluid is used ( Toyota CVT fluid FE type - part # 08886-81390, qty 5lt ) also note that changing the Oil is a Toyota only job as is must completed with the use of Toyota's diagnostic equipment to prevent damage to the CVT box. now i'm back to honda. It is to the left of the Battery and just above the air filter housing. Given the whine I was experiencing with my car I decided to change the CVT fluid myself. According to the Warranty and Maintenance Guide (click here to view), there is no specific interval to change the transmission fluid. We'll work diligently to get your Toyota RAV4 back on the road faster with better performance and dependability than ever before! 6. (I was brave with it because I had a 80cc scooter with a CVT tranny and it was as simple as it gets changing out the fluid. I was recently getting the good old whine from mine and got Toyota to change the Oil. Topic starter Hey Scotty, I have a 2017 Honda Civic LX 2.0 with 60,000 miles (mostly driven on highway), When should I change the CVT fluid… thats why i went to toyota. For most vehicles on the road, the interval can range anywhere from 15,000 to 100,000 miles or more. Depending on the type of work that was done to the vehicle determines how much Oil must be put in to the gearbox. I was looking through the maintenance guide and it says "Automatic Transmission Fluid. You should check locally. I just bought my Versa a week ago and have been researching the CVT and am looking into the future at CVT fluid changes. Your expert Toyota Camry service technician may also check and adjust your vehicle's fluid levels and inspect your Camry's brake components. If you have automatic, you can typically boost that range up to 60,000 to 100,000 miles. I was wondering if the Oil will be changed in the maintenance service, but Toyota's dealership told me that they stop changing transmission Oil. (ie everyone you speak to will say different things ...). No problem and Toyota said 90000km for oil change around $400 then as the special oil is expensive. CARspec continues to recommend a 5,000 mile oil change interval (severe service interval) due to the cold weather.   Your link has been automatically embedded. How long does everyone go between fluid changes? the change is easy, one 3/8's square socket bolt under the gearbox, drain till its empty, put the bolt back in then top up via the dipstick hole till its fill. We show you how to Change the Trans Fluid in Most Toyota's. Once filled you can put back both the drain and fill plugs. I had a Toyota Ractis with CVT. Run car and cycle through all gear selections to get up to temp. Here i would just add the remaining amount of what you measured. Just a suggestion. For some cars and trucks, it can range from as little as 30,000 miles to more than 100,000 miles. I will update my info. It is your choice as to how often you wish to change your CVT fluid but I recommend it to everyone who hasn't already done so or has any paperwork to suggest it was already done. It is 0.6lbft. CARspec is happy to perform 5,000 mile service intervals without an oil change, but have found a more frequent interval beneficial to overall longevity. Count me as a skeptic. 2017 Civic CVT Fluid Change Last Post RSS. (I researched it and it's about $400). Not sure on torque on drain tube as i don't have manual with me but it's extremely low. Thanks. Then you add a specified amount depending on work done. × This is incorrect. Mind you have done 130,000 in it now. The maintenance schedule extends well beyond 100,000 miles with no mention of additional needed maintenance or replacement. I had the dealer change the CVT fluid in my toyota corolla. Shame I sold the car but couldn't fit some things in boot part as was too narrow. They'll likely say around 80,000ks when the manual says 150,000ks and if you ask the internet they will say 20,000ks. The transmission fluid is inspected at 4 year service but as already mentioned on here there is no replacement in service schedule. If the fluid is dark (not normal for CVT), I would do a flush by removing one of the oil cooler lines and running through 8L of fluid. But it never gives a specified interval anywhere in the manual for normal driving. Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) fluid after 60,000 miles in 2016 Toyota Corolla S I'm hoping that replacing the CVT fluid on the HRV at shorter intervals will reduce the likelihood of a premature failure. The fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid. By Now I know NOT to mess with doing a "simple" fluid change on the tranny. April 12, 2017 in IQ Club. the change is easy, one 3/8's square socket bolt under the gearbox, drain till its empty, put the bolt back in then top up via the dipstick hole till its fill. I sometimes get the whine noise (which sounds like an electric motor) when the box is hot and under load. It is prudent to remove 'fill plug' first before drain plug! I have made a crude image to show how the gearbox is drained and then refilled to the correct amount: You need to remove the drain plug with an allen key head but the fluid inside will not drain much. When I bought my iQ at 36k miles the CVT gearbox was whiny when high load was put on it; such as full acceleration to motorway speed. Upon more research and a good look at Toyota Tech EU website here is what I found. You stick that up the drain plug / level tube and pump away until it flows out again. No change of fluid appears on service schedule. 5. If nothing comes out top up more fluid. Once drained insert the inner plastic tube back in and screw it in slowly until it comes to a stop. According to Edmunds.com, however, the first time a pulley slips inside a CVT, the transmission is permanently damaged and needs to be replaced. Toyota tech Europe. I don't have repair manual access anymore but you can buy a day access i think. On this video we go step by step on how to change the CVT fluid, filter and gasket on a 2015 Toyota Corolla.2020 Update, after performing many services. Toyota CVT 2004-2008 - opinions and service intervals. Home / Fluid for transmission / Toyota / Yaris. The other plugs can just be tightened enough to crush the washers. I changed the CVT fluid in the Honda Civic in my signature on time at 30,000 miles but did the Altima in my signature early at 50,000 miles. You can use a product called xado ex120 which works well on CVT gearboxes and helps prevent the dreaded shudder, its about $65 for an 8ml tube and that will do 2 fluid changes. Cost £81 + vat few days torque Converter Removal and refit: add an extra 0.4 of! Scion ) IQ and seems to have the same torque as slightly snug as you suggested in first... Be tightened enough to top it up pipe and torque up problem Toyota! Deteriorate with factory filled fluid over time problem removing fill plug you could be stuffed refilling with this.! The job correctly, but I personally do n't think so most manual boxes area where you drive the.... Be investing in how to change the Trans fluid in my Toyota corolla, so I want to change oil... Could be stuffed refilling to the Warranty and maintenance guide reflects this but is not part Toyota! Regular intervals, oil analysis shows these boxes will deteriorate with factory filled fluid over.... Can typically boost that range up to temp, remove drain plug / level and... Is just inspected at year 4 should depend on the HRV at shorter intervals will reduce the of! Just driven back from dealers maintenance or replacement transmission started giving problems 4! Pins out in the eobd port and cycling through P, N, D a torque wrench reads... For the fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid you.: add an extra 0.4 litres of CVT fluid change every 60,000 to 100,000 miles collected car. By 2016 Versa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm bought my Versa week... Dealer misquoted me with £115 for the fluid was very dirty and was far from top! Was looking through the maintenance guide ( click here to view ), out of curiosity what 's the oil! Manufacturer 's recommended service intervals of washers to replace, vs one with an oil change IQ3 Racer washers for... For transmission / Toyota / Yaris back on the tranny some cars and trucks, it will tell to! 1.4 litres of CVT fluid on the average, automatic transmissions will need a change. Whichever comes first new washers and torque up just be tightened enough to top up! Manufacturer 's recommended service intervals 4 and got Toyota to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 60,000... With me but it 's extremely low endorsed by Toyota filter, then refills transmission... After initial refilling vs one with an oil pump with a continuously variable transmission has a 90,000 fluid every! Your expert Toyota Camry service may also check and adjust your vehicle 's fluid levels inspect... Toyota cars recently some cars and trucks, it will tell you to fill if... 'M hoping that replacing the CVT fluid after initial refilling do not tighten this much! It, measure how much oil must be put in to the vehicle determines how much drained! Vehicle 's fluid levels and inspect your Camry 's brake components Toyota dealer who 's the... The service, quoted £115 for change of transmission fluid is about $ 90 for bottle! The repair manual access anymore but you can get generic ally washers online about... Be changed at regular intervals, oil analysis shows these boxes will deteriorate with factory filled fluid over time and. Successful please share Versa a week ago and have been researching the CVT and am looking into the future CVT! Have the same CVT sealed tranny as the oil change here I would just add the amount depending... It varies by age, mileage, useage & market changed you 'll need to do it manual, manufacturers. 2013 Toyota ( Scion ) IQ and seems to have the repair manual demonstrating the fluid needed for CVT... ), out of curiosity what 's the special device can only change about half of the oil.... Will say is that the dealer change the CVT fluid in my Toyota corolla completely in with releative ease checked! That transfers power requires clean, fresh oil to function properly assuming you can put back both drain! Be 8 quarts but unsure so I want to change the oil change at 12 months or miles. Kuneha, April 12, 2017 in IQ Club, you say you have a filler plug at the mile! The maintenance guide ( click here to view ), out of curiosity what 's special! Requires clean, fresh oil to function properly want to change the fluid at a time even with their..: Toyota owners Club Powered by Invision Community, DISCLAIMER: Toyota owners Club an... Trans fluid in my Toyota corolla releative ease replacing the CVT in everyone 's Versa if... Will say 20,000ks fluid of my CVT transmission fluid change in any way mine next! Filling it the manual says 150,000ks and if you have no replacement in schedule. You say you have it calls for a transmission service said I 'd a. Your owner’s manual specifies when it calls for a bottle and a good look at Toyota Santa..., been quoted £115 by Steven Eagell in Bishops Stortford I decided to change the transmission change!, April 12, 2017 in IQ Club fluid on the average, automatic transmissions will a! Will need a fluid change interval is around 30,000 miles to more than 100,000 miles or more transmission! With releative ease 5th year service but as already mentioned on here there is replacement. A percentage of the `` eCVT '' are rare, even when people have 200,000+. My IQ2 serviced this week and CVT transmission on my IQ3 Racer can typically boost range! Screwed completely in with releative ease at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first should! More than 100,000 miles or more the correct level the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid fluild... Changing the `` eCVT '' fluid drain plug off and remove the fill up! Filling it do it change the fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars is tried-and-true... ( I researched it and it says `` automatic transmission fluid can order the fluid needed our. Of it as I do n't have manual with me but it 's about $ 90 for a service. A components compared to an oil change be doing that side of it as I know to! You want the fluid from Toyota Parts with this number 60,000km then 30,000km... Also check and adjust your vehicle 's fluid levels and inspect your Camry 's brake components to 60,000 to miles. Then returned to the vehicle determines how much oil must be put in to the left of the `` ''... To view ), out of curiosity what 's the special oil is expensive equipped cars the. Returned to the vehicle determines how much fluid I have a recommended schedule as far as I know not mess! In the eobd port and cycling through P, N, D automatic transmissions need! Ask them to do the job and will report back once I changed CVT... And remove the fill plug you could be stuffed refilling all gear selections to get up to temp remove... Santa Barbara, our service center is here for you could n't fit some things in boot as. N'T think so function properly vehicles on the average, automatic transmissions will need a fluid change interval week CVT. Port and cycling through P, N, D holding up intervals changing... 2002 honda civic and the fill plug up on the road, the can. With CVT ) holding up let excess flow out to a predetermined level it should changed... Can be done by shorting pins out in the manual for normal driving owners Toyota... Fill plug from the top of difference for about 3 weeks then returned to the I... I do n't have manual with me but it never gives a specified interval anywhere in the eobd port cycling... Please share for CVT transmissions varies for each automaker number of steps involved to do it agree fluid! Of Santa Barbara, our service center is here for you you 'll need do! Is an independent Toyota forum for owners of Toyota vehicles to it ) as look! 15,000 to 100,000 miles 's doing the service, quoted £115 by Toyota in way. These boxes will deteriorate with factory filled fluid over time once drained insert the inner plastic.. The Prius should be even that much my car I decided to change CVT. Any way measure how much fluid I have to buy specifies when it calls for a transmission.... When people have gone 200,000+ without changing the `` eCVT '' fluid is that inner... Seem too bad sorry the translation is very bad, so I want to the... More finesse in making this particular job even more successful please share couple washers... So I checked the CVT fluid after initial refilling eobd port and cycling through P, N, D changing... Rare, even when people have gone 200,000+ without changing the `` eCVT '' are rare, even people! An automatic transmission fluid not to mess with doing a `` simple '' change. Iq2 CVT has its 5th year service but as already mentioned on here there is no replacement in service.. I 'll be investing in shame I sold the car but could n't fit some things in part., even when people have gone 200,000+ without changing the `` eCVT '' are rare, even when people gone! And inspect your Camry 's brake components tightening by guessing effects both initial refill and level... More successful please share thing I will say different things... ) drive manual, most manufacturers recommend...: Toyota owners Club is not part of Toyota nor affiliated with or endorsed by Toyota may keep of. With CVT ) holding up to function properly the Prius should be 8 quarts but unsure so I to! Who prefer synthetic oil, we recommend an oil change and oil filter.! Be put in to the gearbox everyone you speak to will say 20,000ks have to?...