Sansevieria grow naturally in rocky and dry regions. You can fertilize again near the end of the growing season in August. The plant responds well to a few different methods of cultivation to include leaf cuttings, root division, from offsets, from “pups,” and from seed. Ever wonder why you never see artificial snake plants? The all green leaved plants are called snake plants and the gold bordered leaved plants are called mother-in-law’s tongue. Poetryman, I'm discovering that foliage color and shapes are just as attractive as flowers. Sansevieria is an evergreen, perennial plant native to tropical West Africa. I currently have a snake plant that’s sat in a north facing room, very far away from the window. I’d suggest using applications at half the recommended rate and at half the frequency. Whole plants... Repotting. Plant starfish in regular succulent potting mix. Snake plants are hardy, … The smaller types don’t spread as much but the taller types spread aggressively and can become invasive in the landscape in tropical areas. It could be like Genealogy meets Horticulture. Sansevieria are more commonly called snake plant or mother-in-law’s tongue. Place Sansevieria s in moderately bright or filtered light. This is actually very similar to the propagation of Fiddle Leaf Fig, another favorite indoor plant. Sansevieria / Snake Plant propagation basics: Keep cuttings and plants in bright light, out of direct sun. Sansevieria is the genus of about 60 plants belonging to the Agave family. Plastic pots hold in moisture which is great for plants who need moist soil but can cause root rot in plants like sansevieria which need dry conditions. The interesting succulent with its decorative leaves and the different forms of appearance is considered to be a very easy to care for houseplant. Answer: All sansevieria will grow indoors or outdoors. It can take up to two weeks to successfully transition an indoor plant to the outdoors. This is also a good time to give your plants their annual spring dose of fertilize with a balanced fertilizer diluted to half strength. Select one or two healthy leaves from an established sansevieria plant in late spring. There are actually 70 different species. Sanseviera will quickly outgrow or even break their containers. That yellow edge is really lovely and helps the plant pop visually when in a shady corner. The exact timing between watering depends on the conditions of where you’ve got your container situated. He considers folksy adages priceless treasures and is fueled almost entirely by beer and hot sauce. Snake plants (or mother-in-law's tongue) are one of the most popular and hardy houseplants. For instance, I live in zone 6b which on the map is -5F to 0F. Answer: No, sansevieria will not grow in clay soils. I have divided it numerous times, given away those divisions and planted some in the ground. So the plant is well over 100 years old. When you repot your plant in the spring is a good time to divide it. Water thoroughly. It has been happily living in the same container for almost 10 years! Perhaps this plant could be divided and you could keep just one portion in this pot, giving it a little room to grow. Thanks very much Matt. Snake plants prefer to be slightly pot bound, but you need to have enough room to fully cover the roots. Learn how to propagate a snake plant to expand your collection or give away to friends and family! You could toss one into a closet during the winter and forget about it until you stumble on it during your spring cleaning. Keep them in a warm room away from drafty windows and doors during the winter. Here in Florida it survives winter fairly well just needing protection from a hard freeze. Maybe you can help… Read more », You’re probably not doing anything wrong, Kevin. To transition an indoor plant to the outdoors, you have to do it gradually. A potting mix for cacti like this one is a good choice to use when repotting your snake plant. My only hangup with this variety is how obvious any damage to the leaves becomes, but otherwise it’s a hardy and handsome plant. To root your cuttings directly in soil, you start out the same. temperature should be above 45°F, best temperature range is between 65°F and 90°F . Caren White is a Master Gardener and instructor at Home Gardeners School. My wife loves the houseplants decorating our home, and she’s got an artful hand when it comes to propagating clones from our established greenery. Their stomata are open only at night, which means they hold onto water far longer than your other houseplants. During the warmer months you can still get away with watering the plant every few weeks, sometimes stretching out over a period of a month between drinks. They spread by underground stems called rhizomes which pop up as new growth. If you are growing mother-in-law's-tongue, it is less likely to sport its jaunty gold borders in the shade. Always err towards underwatering and you’ll find more than half of the conditions afflicting Sansevieria eliminated. For all my succulents, including Sansevieria cylindrica and other varieties of Sansevieria, this is how I water them. Propagation. I’ll give it some fertilizer when I next water and be patient. When re-potting your sansevieria, cut off any roots that have small shoots close to the plant. How to Keep a Bird of Paradise Plant Alive Sunlight. Answer: No, sanseviera are tropical plants only hardy in zones 9 - 11. Nov 15, 2020 - Sansevieria, a hardy almost impossible to kill houseplant that thrives on neglect, is also called a Snake Plants or Mother in Law’s Tongue. Snake plants don’t need a tender hand to prune their foliage, and they don’t want much to drink. This species thrives in poor conditions because they evolved in the jungles of the Congo. Sansevieria Moonshine is a unique silver-leaved cultivar of the familiar snake plant (Sansevieria Trifasciata). A Birdnest sansevieria. The most recognizable variety is S. trifasciata ‘Laurentii,’ the yellow-edged and variegated snake plant. Question: Can Sansevieria grow in clay soils? With your hand supporting the plant, pull the pot upwards with your other hand, exposing the root ball. I like how you’ve focused on what not to do, as like you say, these plants will put up with a lot! You could use organic cactus fertilizers because they will provide the right nutrients to your Sansevieria cylindrica plants. Yet while it might not have the same formidable presence a say a Laurentii or a Cylindrica, it’s actually one of the best types of snake plants to grow in your garden, especially if you live in warmer locations like Florida or Arizona Use cactus potting soil or add coarse sand to regular potting soil to provide the drainage that these plants need. The leaves feel thicker and fleshier too. Divide and Propagate Snake Plants Water Rooting Snake Plant Cuttings. The leaves tend to be on the thinner side, but it seems to have a much more vigorous growth rate. You can plant it in containers which can be sunk into the ground up to their rims. Let them dry for a few days before pushing into a good drainage potting compost mix. We’ve also got our handy guide on the basic care of houseplants for your other questions about indoor gardening. At the same time, you can fertilize your plant using a balanced fertilizer (10-10-10 or 8-8-8) that is diluted to half strength. Sunnier locations during very warm periods of the summer will dictate more regular watering, but a snake plant tucked into a shady corner can go for weeks without needing a drink even during the summer. He presently resides in Philadelphia and works under the sun as a landscaper and gardener, and by moonlight as a writer. Snake plant wants a cramped, poor quality home to mimic the soil conditions of its native habitat. Also easy to care for, it prefers bright light but will tolerate lower levels. So... outside I don't water it and don't fertilize it still it thrives on neglect. It has lived there for 2 years maybe, and although its growth is a bit leggy (which I’m trying to counter/fix with a grow light), it’s still pretty happy. Caren White (author) on January 12, 2015: Mine is also a gift! I’ve found this condition to be largely cosmetic and not something that needs to be rectified, but if you want your plant neat and tiny you can snip away browned tips on leaves. But even a schedule of “once or twice a week” could stretch out into several weeks without a drink if conditions are right, and that’s where a watchful eye comes into play. Pot these in pots containing free-draining potting mix —cactus and succulent mix with a handful of regular potting mix is ideal. See our TOS for more details.