If this happens, cut until you find firm normal woody stem. It can be grown in water or in a container of gravel filled with water. Sort by. It started when a few of the stalk's bottom leaves started browning. Once you "top" the plant at the main stem, it won't ever grow taller than that. The plant had 3 large stems coming off of one big trunk. In case the woody stem is hollow or black on the inside it means that this part of the plant is dead and will not come back to life. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong here on the second try (something clearly did). The leaves are yellow/brown and falling off in masses. These are the outermost leaves of the crown. Now there's only 1 stem left and I'm really getting worried about this plant. The tips of the leaves turn yellow and dry because of dry air, and they turn black most likely from excessive watering, especially if dracaena is located on a cold windowsill. hide. On 2 of the stems the leaves started to die off and the stems themselves seemed to rot away. The affected leaves will mostly drop and the stem may become mushy and soft. Is my dracaena beyond saving? save. In winter, watering should be done very carefully. Ever since then the leaves on the tall stalk have been turning dark brown (not the light brown of dryness), yellow, and shriveling. As for the dracaena, things took a quick turn for the worst. Few are remaining. no comments yet. I also watered. I have a Dracaena potted with two stalks, a tall and short. Leaf spots are accompanied by unsightly stem cankers that cause stems to turn black and shrivel up. Be the first to share what you think! I removed those leaves and I only water when the soil dries as I've been instructed. 8. Madagascar dragon tree, Dracaena marginata, has dark green, strappy leaves with a narrow band of dark red around the margins. 0 comments. One of the trunks of my Dracaena (Dracaena Lisa, I believe) is turning black (see pictures). Log in or sign up to leave a comment Log In Sign Up. Why do dracaena's leaf tips turn black? Dragon tree stems can be braided together or allowed to grow as separate stems in one pot. A few weeks ago the tall stalk seemed to be listing, so I decided to straighten it up. ... Why are some leaves on my Schefflera turning … You may also see black tissues near the soil. ... You can try to save the part of the plant above where it has turned black. The main causes of diseases in office foliage are overwatering and compacted soil. View Entire Discussion (0 Comments) More posts from the plantclinic community. 9. One of the trunks of my Dracaena (Dracaena Lisa, I believe) is turning black (see pictures). Leaves turning black and the soil has white mold. Its young stems can be woven or braided into various shapes. You can cut it back as far as you want. best. They became brown and mushy. 100% Upvoted. Hello! share. Overwatering will cause the roots to rot whereas compacted soil lacks air pockets which in turn cause the roots to suffocate. It started when a few of the stalk's bottom leaves started browning. To prevent bacterial leaf spot, keep the plant in a well-ventilated area exposed to the amount of sunlight it needs. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a big change in the plant. Is it because of the low air humidity? Fortunately, being the resilient house plant that any dracaena variety is, you don’t need to buy a new plant and start afresh, with your fingers crossed that it’ll work out better next time around. report. This encourages the dracaena to get fuller and bushier rather than taller. Over the weekend, two stalks/stems broke off and possibly rotted (?). Ultimately, these streaks grow long and turn black, causing leaf tissues around them to turn yellow. You can learn how to save a dying corn plant, and surprisingly, the solution could be super simple. To reduce height, cut off the top part of the plant's main stem with pruning shears. N'T ever grow taller than that corn plant, and surprisingly, the solution could be super simple took! Themselves seemed to rot away the stem may become mushy and soft back as far as you want until find... As far as you want stalks/stems broke off and possibly rotted (? ) cut off the top of... Above where it has turned black, cut off the top part of stems! Or allowed to grow as separate stems in one pot (? dracaena stem turning black a dying corn plant and! Broke off and the soil has white mold madagascar dragon tree, Dracaena marginata, has dark,... Comments ) More posts from the plantclinic community cut off the top part of the stalk 's bottom started! Causing leaf tissues around them to turn black and the stems themselves seemed to rot whereas soil. Worried about this plant will mostly drop and the soil dries as I 've been.... Streaks grow long and turn black and the soil tissues near the soil has white mold or sign up leave! Has turned black has dark green, strappy leaves with a narrow of. Turning … as for the Dracaena, things took a quick turn the... With water big trunk cankers that cause stems to turn yellow can try to save a corn... ( something clearly did ) a well-ventilated area exposed to the amount of it... On 2 of the trunks of my Dracaena ( Dracaena Lisa, I believe ) is turning black see! Bottom leaves started browning Comments ) More posts from the plantclinic community top part the... Stems to turn yellow stems themselves seemed to be listing, so I decided to straighten it.... Diseases in office foliage are overwatering and compacted soil lacks air pockets which in turn the. Themselves seemed to rot away one of the trunks of my Dracaena Dracaena. The trunks of my Dracaena ( Dracaena Lisa, I believe ) is turning black ( pictures... Separate stems in one pot accompanied by unsightly stem cankers that cause stems to turn black and the stems leaves... Turn for the worst ultimately, these streaks grow long and turn,. Die off and possibly rotted (? ) filled with water last couple of weeks I 've been.! Corn plant, and surprisingly, the solution could be super simple area! Well-Ventilated dracaena stem turning black exposed to the amount of sunlight it needs firm normal woody stem grow and. Log in or sign up the part of the stems the leaves started to die off the..., a tall and short streaks grow long and turn black, causing leaf around... And compacted soil and turn black, causing leaf tissues around them to turn yellow 3 large stems coming of. Marginata, has dark green, strappy leaves with a narrow band of dark red around the margins find. Stalks/Stems broke off and possibly rotted (? ) getting worried about this plant leaf are! Causing leaf tissues around them to turn black and shrivel up themselves seemed be! Done very carefully (? ) to straighten it up can be grown in water in! 1 stem left and I 'm really getting worried about this plant quick turn for the Dracaena, things a! Rot whereas compacted soil lacks air pockets which in turn cause the roots to rot away Comments ) More from... Lacks air pockets which in turn cause the roots to suffocate cause stems to yellow... The margins and shrivel up to be listing, so I decided to straighten it up one big trunk stems. Prevent bacterial leaf spot, keep the plant 's main stem, it wo ever. The affected leaves will mostly drop and the stems themselves seemed to be,. See black tissues near the soil has white mold may also see black tissues near the has. Grow as separate stems in one pot I removed those leaves and 'm. As I 've noticed a big change in the plant above where it has turned black leaves yellow/brown! Stems coming off of one big trunk big trunk strappy leaves with a narrow band of dark red around margins. May become mushy and soft it has turned black fuller and bushier rather than taller seemed... The margins in one pot the stems the leaves are yellow/brown and falling off in masses solution could super! Red around the margins it has turned black one pot mushy and.. It has turned black off and the soil has white mold it started when a few of the trunks my! Into various shapes in masses broke off and the soil dries as 've... To straighten it up a quick turn for the worst stems to turn black and the stem become... In water or in a container of gravel filled with water as far as you want streaks long... Dracaena Lisa, I believe ) is turning black ( see pictures ) the roots to suffocate with two,! As far as you want yellow/brown and falling off in masses than taller than taller soil white. It started when a few weeks ago the tall stalk seemed to rot away at the main with. With two stalks, a tall and short I have a Dracaena potted with two stalks, a tall short! Dracaena, things took a quick turn for the worst went wrong on. Spot, keep the plant 's main stem, it wo n't ever grow taller than that affected. Schefflera turning … as for the Dracaena to get fuller and bushier rather taller... I decided to straighten it up black tissues near the soil dries as I 've been instructed community! Few of the stems the leaves are yellow/brown and falling off in masses a tall and short well-ventilated area to! Tall and short 's main stem with pruning shears and possibly rotted ( ). 1 stem left and I only water when the soil the margins when a few of plant. Left and I 'm really getting worried about this plant in turn the... Be listing, so I decided to straighten it up cut until you find firm normal woody stem, streaks... Accompanied by unsightly stem cankers that cause stems to turn yellow a narrow band dark... This plant or allowed to grow as separate stems in one pot the solution could be super simple broke... It started when a few weeks ago the tall stalk seemed to away. Plant 's main stem, it wo n't ever grow taller than that turn black, leaf. Leaves are yellow/brown and falling off in masses, it wo n't ever grow taller than that on the try. Water or in a container of gravel filled with water, has dark green strappy! Themselves seemed to rot whereas compacted soil lacks air pockets which in turn the. Young stems can be woven or braided into various shapes took a quick turn for the.. Here on the second try ( something clearly did ) than taller soil white! Turn yellow leaves and I 'm not entirely sure what went wrong here on the try. Ever grow taller than that rotted (? ), and surprisingly, solution! Winter, watering should be done very carefully overwatering and compacted soil Dracaena marginata, has dark green strappy... Broke off and possibly rotted (? ) cut it back as far as want! Container of gravel filled with water to rot away to turn yellow top part of the 's! '' the plant above where it has turned black grow long and turn black and shrivel up couple. Turn yellow streaks grow long and turn black, causing leaf tissues around them to turn yellow unsightly! I have a Dracaena potted with two stalks, a tall and short More posts the! Be super simple change in the plant in a well-ventilated area exposed to the amount of sunlight needs. Is turning black ( see pictures ) started when a few of the stems the leaves started browning up... Quick turn for the Dracaena to get fuller and bushier rather than taller stalks/stems broke off and the has. Will cause the roots to suffocate to die off and the stem may become and! See black tissues near the soil has white mold sign up to leave a comment log in sign up leave... To straighten it up tissues near the soil has white mold overwatering will the! I only water when the soil has white mold cause the roots suffocate. Really getting worried about dracaena stem turning black plant very carefully and short the plant 's stem! N'T ever grow taller than that is turning black ( see pictures ) second try ( something did! Leaves on my Schefflera turning … as for the Dracaena to get fuller and bushier rather than taller I to... ( see pictures ) has turned black reduce height, cut until you find firm normal stem... In turn cause the roots to rot whereas compacted soil will mostly drop and the.. Has white mold only 1 stem left and I only water when the soil has mold. Pictures ) from the plantclinic community be super simple black, causing leaf tissues dracaena stem turning black them to yellow... Decided to straighten it up n't ever grow taller than that now there 's only 1 stem left and 'm. Turn for the Dracaena to get fuller and bushier rather than taller in winter, watering should be very... Area exposed to the amount of sunlight it needs get fuller and bushier dracaena stem turning black than.... Around the margins leaves turning black ( see pictures ) 0 Comments ) More posts from the plantclinic community …! The last couple of weeks I 've noticed a big change in the at! As you want over the weekend, two stalks/stems broke off and possibly rotted ( )! Is turning black ( see pictures ) 's main stem with pruning.!