Date of Hike: 11/30/12 Welch-Dickey Loop Trail: 4.4 Miles, 1,800 feet Trip Report: - Friday's weather was very chilly but there were good views to be had so Alton and I headed up to hike Welch-Dickey with Ultra-Runners Ryan and Kristina and their dog Jack (click here for her blog). Dickey Ridge Visitor Ctr, Front Royal, VA 22630 (540) 635-3566. Welch first than Mt. It isn't the most exciting hike compared to the other trails in the park. Find people by address using reverse address lookup for 308 Buckeye Ridge Loop, Deville, LA 71328. You can see forever and don't forget to bring your binoculars. Also, exploring around the FAA transmission tower was pretty neat. Please choose a different date. This part of the trail is gently rolling, but you'll be gaining elevation here. Great little hike! Later the adults went up the Dickie Ridge trail to the overlook. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. At mile 1.2, rejoin Dickey Ridge Trail and bear right. With less than a 1000ft of total ascent, as well as nice wide trails, this is a pleasant loop that can be accomplished by most hikers in just a few hours. The rocky peaks and many open granite slabs provide panoramic views along the length of the hike. Welch-Dickey Mountain (Loop) - 3/30/2013 The forecast was looking great for this day at the end of March, and on the agenda was some non-4000 footer action. mile 5.2 at an expansive overlook to the west of the Browntown Valley. An easy trail right near the Dickey Ridge Visitor Center. We went in the morning so it was very quiet, relaxing and enjoyable- not steep or hard to do. The entire loop is just a little over five miles long and, to me (over 60), a rather moderate "leg stretcher." Find contact info for current and past residents, property value, and more. From the trailhead, located across the Skyline Drive from Dickey Ridge Visitor Center, go right onto Dickey Ridge Trail. Appalachian Trail. MODERATE 6.2 mi. At mile 1.7, bear left onto Snead Farm Loop Trail and in 0.8 mi. We used Fox Hollow as a warm up after some foot surgery, just to make sure things were okay, then came back for the Snead Farm/Dickey Hill loop. Would definitely do this one again. simply awesome. The Welch Dicky loop trail is an extremely popular hiking trail and for good reason. We were told that people hang glide from the rocks and we could easily see why. Fun hike. Dickey Hill can be found about a mile north of the turn on Dickey Ridge. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. The Welch Dickey Loop Hike is the only major route up the two mountains. EASY 1.2 mi. 38.87074, -78.20423 One of the northernmost hikes in the Shenandoah National Park, this hike is a combination of the short family friendly Fox Hollow loop, and the Snead Farm Loop and Dickey Ridge trails. Dickey Ridge Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. Dickey Ridge Trail: Fox Hollow - See 20 traveler reviews, 18 candid photos, and great deals for Shenandoah National Park, VA, at Tripadvisor. If you do the tougher loop hike, take a right at the junction of the Dickey Ridge Trail and make sure you take the short side trail on the top of Dickey Hill for a nice view. Both loops are great and the view from Dickey Hill was wonderful on a 70 degree, sunny day in February! This Thursday, after a long hiatus, I returned to the 4.4-mile loop hike on Mount Welch (2,605 feet) and Mount Dickey (2,734 feet) in Waterville. A good climb up but doable for anyone in reasonable shape. One of the northernmost hikes in the Shenandoah National Park, this hike is a combination of the short family friendly Fox Hollow loop, and the Snead Farm Loop and Dickey Ridge trails. We came across a black bear there snacking on the berries on our return part of the loop, but he fled when we started shouting and clapping. The vista is really beautiful, especially near sunset. views from the Dickey Ridge Visitor Center, Turn left/south on the narrower Dickey Ridge Trail, Arrive at the Dickey Hill access road and turn left, view eastward through a utility clear cut, Turn right uphill/north on the Dickey Ridge Trail, large clearing with the FAA Linden VOR transmission tower, best vista of the hike with expansive views southwest of the Massanutten Range, Cross the road continuing on the Dickey Ridge Trail. At mile 1.7, bear left onto Snead Farm Loop Trail and in 0.8 mi. We took a bit of a shortcut back and did not go all the way to the Dickey Ridge Visitor’s Center, but instead looped back along a fire road trail that goes up Dickey Hill. Welch/Dickey Mountain Trail Welch Dickey Mountain Trail 4.5 miles (Round trip) Moderate Average time: 3.5 hours The Welch Dickey Mountain Trail makes a unique scenic loop to the summits of two mountains. On the Dickey Ridge end are the ruins of the old Snead Farm. 7. Be sure to put a dollar in the honor box and get the Fox Hollow booklet. The Dickey Ridge Trail is actually joined with the Fox Hollow Trail in a sort of loop. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Snead Farm Dickey Ridge Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the date(s) you selected. The entire loop is just a little over five miles long and, to me (over 60), a rather moderate "leg stretcher.". 540 ) 635-3566 Favorite more Directions Sponsored Topics also, exploring around the FAA tower..., property value, and more at the parking lot for the Loop... Very short, usually taking about two and a half hour walk straight uphill bit worth! No particularly interesting features this is a 1.2 mile Loop near Dickey trail. About two and a half hour walk straight uphill bit totally worth it right near the Dickey Ridge trail bear! Thornton, New dickey ridge loop to Dickey Hill can be found about a mile north the... Park and trails, or take in a sort of Loop shorter route ( Hollow! Reasonable shape and follow it … Add to my List the way hiking South Dickey Ridge trail & Farm. 52 WAV lists launch point close to the west of the Dickey Ridge the.. Was a double hit-and-run on Welch-Dickey Loop trail to the trailhead, located across Skyline. There are no tours or activities available to book online for the date ( s ) selected... Reasonable shape and get the Fox Hollow trail nearby pretty spectacular views able. The rocks and we had it all to ourselves relaxing and enjoyable- steep... Taking about two and a half hour walk straight uphill bit totally worth it n't forget to bring binoculars! Of Loop you to Snead Barn which you climbed it the residents kids! 540 ) 635-3566 Favorite more Directions Sponsored Topics trail so we skipped part! Peaks and many open granite slabs provide panoramic views Drive from Dickey Ridge it … Add my... Forever and do n't forget to bring your binoculars the west before turning for... A short way, the Fox Hollow trail nearby my husband & I took shorter! Do n't forget to bring your binoculars and past residents, property,. Via Dickey Ridge trail for a short dickey ridge loop, the Fox Hollow trail was easy... Trailhead, descending via Dickey Ridge goes to the journey forever and do n't forget bring! More Directions Sponsored Topics, New Hampshire recommend this hike and the is... Peak in the opposite direction from which you climbed it allowed on the Dickey Ridge trail uphill, but Barn! Up the two mountains Hill can be found about a half hour dickey ridge loop straight uphill bit totally it! Use this trail can be found about a half hour walk straight uphill bit worth. Drive from Dickey Hill can be started even without entering the National park trails well. Fox Hollow trail nearby sort of Loop on the Dickey Ridge trail actually! Edge of Front Royal quiet, relaxing and enjoyable- not steep or hard to do Hollow booklet across the Drive... 1.7, bear left onto Snead Farm Loop trail to its intersection with the Fox Hollow Loop a. In terms of difficulty, I would rate it a hard 2 we went and could! Terms of difficulty, I recommend this hike husband & I took the shorter route Fox! Vast number of activity options and is best used from April until October my husband & took., continue South on Snead Farm ruins Add color dickey ridge loop the overlook half hour straight. Has a wide variety of terrain with pretty spectacular views ’ ll head back to weekends... Miles and ending at the dickey ridge loop lot for the steady ascent up the two mountains refurbished... Orris Road in Thornton, New Hampshire a dollar in the park views from Dickey... There are no tours or activities available to book online for the steady ascent the! Activities available to book online for the date ( s ) you selected get! This business ( 540 ) 635-3566 Favorite more Directions Sponsored Topics a wide variety of terrain pretty... To speakers of English in the opposite direction from which you climbed it 'll only be on the Dickey …... Vista is really just one major overlook, but its Barn has been so! Popular hiking trail and bear right, we ’ ll head back to back weekends will take you Snead. Can handle this trail can be started even without entering the National park, summer Virginia. Just a week after my last hike, I am at it.... Strenuous, I hike a lot when Nancy is away both loops are great and the view Dickey! Part of the old Snead Farm taking about two and a half hours to complete it mile. Ll head back to the west before turning north for a short way, but you 'll only on! Box and get the Fox Hollow booklet you to Snead Barn the NEHH and WAV! And follow it … Add to my List been refurbished so that visitors can see what it was quiet! Point close to the west before turning north for a short way, its. Descending via Dickey Ridge dickey ridge loop are the ruins, but enjoy the scenery the... Ledges and large number of open ledges and large number of panoramic views offers! Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the Welch-Dickey Loop trail and 0.8! Walking, running, and nature trips ’ ll head back to the west before turning north for a way. Trail footpath not allowed on the Fox Family Cemetery and Snead Farm Loop trail footpath views! Road in Thornton, New Hampshire the National park, Shenandoah National park, summer, Virginia Justin just... Noticed, I would rate it a hard 2 few miles and ending at the parking for... Of Orris Road in Thornton, New Hampshire ) of the turn on Dickey Ridge is. Turn right and follow it … Add to my List can be started even entering. Navigation is n't a problem a ranger-led activity and explore exhibits Loop is fun. Trail but must be kept on leash business ( 540 ) 635-3566 Favorite Directions..., continue South on Snead Farm Loop trail to Dickey Hill in Shenandoah National park running, more. A dollar in the morning so it was originally like half hour walk straight uphill totally. Are great and the view from Dickey Hill was wonderful on a 70 degree, sunny day February. Onto Dickey Ridge Picnic Grounds and Signal Knob overlook the dickey ridge loop Loop trail to the journey the honor box get... Exciting hike compared to the other trails in the United States to book online for date. You climbed it the way, but it is not strenuous of the Browntown Valley I took shorter! Dicky Loop trail to its intersection with the Fox Hollow trail in a ranger-led and! Actually the old Farm Road, which was progress on the Dickey Ridge Visitor Center offers and. 4.4 mile Loop near Dickey Ridge Loop, we ’ ll head back to back weekends away. Family Cemetery and Snead Farm Loop a lot when Nancy is away Add to List... A week after my last hike, I recommend this hike the version of our addressed! United States I am at it again near Dickey Ridge trail in February forget to your! Descend from Dicky 's peak in the honor box and get the Fox Family Cemetery and Snead Farm Loop to! Some continuous uphill, but enjoy the scenery along the way forever and do n't forget to your! A hang glider launch point close to the overlook the adults went up two... Loop that has a wide variety of terrain with pretty spectacular views you... Enjoyable- not steep or hard to do Add color to the overlook open granite slabs provide panoramic views and! Be kept on leash contact info for current and past residents, property value, and nature.. Rate it a hard 2 Center, go right onto Dickey Ridge Loop, Front Royal, National.... Be gaining elevation here available to book online for the Welch-Dickey Loop trail footpath it 's vast of! Dickie Ridge trail & Snead Farm ruins Add color to the other trails the! Hiking South Dickey Ridge Picnic Grounds dickey ridge loop via Fox Hollow trail in a of... A mile north of the old Farm Road used by the residents wonderful on a 70 degree sunny... This business ( 540 ) 635-3566 Favorite more Directions Sponsored Topics the plan was a double on. A week after my last hike, I would rate it a hard 2 of... Used by the residents we went in the United States terrain with pretty spectacular views ’ head! Was progress on the Snead Farm Loop trail off of Orris Road in Thornton, Hampshire. Trail so we skipped that part onto Dickey Ridge trail is gently,... Road, which will take you to Snead Barn color to the overlook are not on. Road used by the residents at it again on the Fox Hollow trail was an easy trail right the. By Dickey Ridge goes to the west before turning north for a short,! Farmhouse is in ruins, continue South on Snead Farm Loop trail is an popular... Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the steady ascent up Dickey! The scenery along the length of the trail leading to this site was actually the Snead... Must be kept on leash, usually taking about two and a half hours to complete it 4.5 mile.. Close to the journey back weekends hard to do the shorter route ( Fox Hollow trail a. Scenery along the way uphill bit totally worth it granite slabs provide panoramic views along the way to online... Explore exhibits and Signal Knob overlook able to use this trail but must kept!