Most of my followers are from America, but I know a lot of people from simliar climates want to know this, so I’ll use the USDA hardiness zones so we all have a frame of reference. They also tend to drop leaves on a seasonal basis, so make sure the die-back you’re seeing is not seasonal. No - but you can stand it outside during the summer months (mid June through to mid August) 5 May, 2010 . Pat, It is perfectly acceptable to leave outside during the summer, but not in direct sun. we originally were told it was a "pencil palm" until i did some research and discovered it was a dracaena marginata. TEMPERATURE Your Dracaena prefers temperatures between 60-75 degrees. These do no like the soil to stay wet so make sure that when watered, it is thorough and drain away the excess. Spray Dracaena Janet Craig from a spray bottle or give it a shower. Mid to late-June is the best time," says Perry. FOOD The Dracaena does not require much food to keep it healthy—only once every six months should suffice. When to water gold dust house plant. Planting. Dec 10, 2016 - Lemon-Lime Dracaena - might be moved outside for the summer. My very good friend, Steve, is a buyer for Terrain at Styers. This dracaena is especially popular because of its long, graceful, green leaves that have a yellow and light green stripe running down the center. Answer question . Then I stored them under a greenhouse roof surrounded by heavy plastic but lost them to a cold winter. Excessive sun can cause browning of leaves, as can too little humidity. Here’s your guide on how to plant succulents outside. To prevent hypothermia of the plant, cover it with thick paper and a plastic bag. The reason why I pruned my Dracaena marginata (besides the fact that it took up too much real estate without enough bang for the buck) is that I plan to transplant it. Sparsely in Autumn / Fall and none in Winter. can i grow a dracaena marginata outside in a pot 5 May, 2010; Answers. Spring, summer, and into early fall are good times for repotting Dracaenas. How do I say thanks? Question: Can I put my mass cane in the ground in a shady spot in my yard in Florida? Dracaena tend to like to be a little pot-bound, so don’t put it into too big of a pot. Water dracaena gold dust 1-2 times a week, or when the soil is dry down to about the first knuckle. The leaves grow out of a central woody cane. Don’t over water. They really like the rain and the sprinklers also. This plant does not like the cold. At the same time, water should not be allowed to stagnate in the bases of the leaves - it leads to decay of the trunk. Explore. Next question. Costa Farms Dracaena Mass Cane (Corn Plant) in 8.75-In. While pruning is not required, it is fun and gives you control over the shape of the plant. 6 is pretty cold, but the UK doesn’t get a lot of very cold weather, so this is more upland areas like the Scottish highlands. Here in Tucson fall is mild – I repot up until the end of October. After the purchase, bring Dracaena Lemon Lime home, while taking into account the air temperature outside, since dracaena is a tropical plant and does not tolerate cold weather. In the United States, therefore, it is most often grown as an indoor plant. If you live in a climate where winter comes early, then spring and summer are best. I painted my Dracaena Janet Lind because i absolutely love the foliage. That said, I suppose you could try growing your Dracaena outdoors in a container over the summer, as long as you bring it back indoors when temperatures cool down-and by cool down, I mean drop below 65ºF-70ºF. In summer, the corn plant can live outside, but in winter, keep it indoors in bright light where you can maintain daytime temperatures between 60 and 70 F and nighttime temperatures of 50 to 60 F. Plants grown in light conditions that are too bright can develop streaks and dry patches on the foliage. I’m going to put it in a grow pot and slip it inside a decorative container or plant it directly into a snazzy fiberglass pot. Jamie Jamison Adams says: June 2, 2016 at 2:34 pm. 905. I was complaining to him on the phone the other day. Be sure to take in the house before temps get lower that 40 degrees. You can add charcoal to a container of water while settling it. Simply put, the higher the humidity, the better. Now that you know what dracaena’s needs are, let’s look at some possible potted dracaena pairings. You can trim the leaves and stems to keep the plant shorter and bushier if you'd like. If the air in the room is dry, you can put a decorative container with water next to the plant. So my question is, what’s the difference between dracaena & false dracaena? It’s best to avoid repotting in winter if you can because plants like to rest during this time. I think, after reading this article, they must have been really wet when I put them in there. When the weather begins to cool down outside, reduce the ... During the spring and summer, you can encourage growth with standard fertilizer meant for houseplants. It is a slow growing shrub that will only grow outdoors in zones 10 and 11, where temperatures never drop below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Choose a water-soluble fertilizer that can be diluted to 50% strength. When can I put them outside? Also, keep it in a spot where it's protected from direct sun, especially when you first put it out, because plants that have been indoors for a long time will sunburn if exposed to direct outdoor sun. The Dracaena Corn plant (dracaena massangeana), like all dracaenas, is tolerant of lower light, missed waterings, and general neglect. Dracaena (Dracaena marginata), more commonly known as a dragon tree, is an attractive, stiff-leaved plant with green sword-like, red-edged leaves.The plant has narrow, slender gray stems that are topped with shiny, arching leaves. Here’s what he had to say about dracaena spikes: “The texture of grasses is pleasing in container combinations. I use it as a centerpiece and put annuals around it. Saved by natasha rog. His name is Elmo and one of my favorites! Mist your plant a couple of times per week. If you’re planning your garden this year, you’ll want to be sure to add a few succulents where you can. Dec 10, 2016 - Lemon-Lime Dracaena - might be moved outside for the summer. Dracaena can survive in low or medium light, but the leaves will look their best in bright, indirect sun. Time of year for Dracaena repotting. I put mine outside when it rains for a day and it seems to reallyyyy like that. Previous question « What type of support do i need for sweet peas? The room it lives in should never have temperatures lower than 10°C (50°F). Or you can collect rainwater in a watering can and try it out! Archived. In the spring, the outdoor varieties can develop tiny and fragrant white flowers, followed by circular yellow-orange berries. As a last resort you can also just fill your watering can up with tap water and let it sit out over night and it helps some of the chemicals evaporate out. The container can be moved outside for the summer in Iowa, though you will have to watch the weather forecast and bring it inside when the temperatures drop below 60F. Many houseplants are initially grown in Florida nurseries and shipped around the country to be sold as indoor plants. Since I have two, I don’t think I can bring them indoors. Posted by 1 year ago. Question proposed Can a peace lily survive outside -- see the answer.