I have grown spider plants for over 20 years. The browning is too much water so you need to cut back on the water. They may be red, black, brown or yellow. This article was co-authored by Chai Saechao. Keep the new soil moist, and cut the stem between the new and old plant after the spiderette has rooted. Try moving the plant farther away from the window or light source. It will be fine. This is to allow the spiderettes to quickly grow roots and be planted in their own pot, but if you leave them attached too long, your main spider plant may begin to suffer from a lack of nutrients. For example, black tips on the leaves are usually a sign of a moisture issue. If you’re only trimming one or two leaves, leaving some brown behind doesn’t need to be a concern. All these things can be fixed. If you just wish to snip the tips off, that is also a good idea. Thanks! An important spider plant care tip … Curly Spider Plant Propagation in 3 Easy Steps: If you want to know how to propagate curly leaf spider plant, the process is simple. But they aren't harmful in any way if you don't mind the look either. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. As a self-described plant doctor, he believes in the therapeutic power of plants, hoping to keep sharing his love of plants with anyone willing to listen and learn. I had a beautiful spider plant; unfortunately, the majority of the tips are turning brown. The soil should dry out slightly between irrigations. First, make sure to use sharp scissors to make a precise incision. Your website answered it, thank you. The plant has likely been overwatered, probably with tap water, which can have high levels of salt. If the tips of the roots look rotted or dead, you can snip them off with scissors. Keep spider plants out of direct light and mist the plants when the humidity is low. Peace lilies tend not to need much water, you can allow the soil to dry out significantly between waterings. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. What's the best way to water my house plants? However, should you wish to snip the browning edges, then do so. For dehydrated plants, just water more frequently or move the plant to a shadier spot. I enjoy raising spider plants too and also had parakeets that loved to eat the leaves. How to Multiply Your Spider Plants: The Spider Plant, or Chlorophytum comosum, is possibly the most popular house plant. Snipping brown tips with scissors can provide cosmetic improvements for your plant, but you should also identify and deal with the underlying cause of the brown tips. It has already produced shoots a few months ago, (which i just cut off because I didn't know what to do with them). You can do this once a month in the winter. Wasn't necessary to plow through tons of info. They suck on the plant juices removing chlorophyll and injecting toxins which cause white dots on the foliage. My spider plants just get brown on the tips of each leaf even though I don’t over or under water them. References Minimize Indoor Spider Plant Dry-Out: It now has 3 long shoots growing from the middle of it. They are good at purifying the air in your home and they are very easy to maintain. These plants can get very big if you want them to. I wasn't. But my Spider Plant had more than just brown tips – some of the leaves were halfway brown and others well on their way. how do i get rid of a wasp nest without insecticide ? What do you think the life of a flower is like? Dead Leaves or Brown Leaf Tips Spruce up a spider plant with yellowed or dead leaves or leaves with browned tips by cutting off or pulling out leaves that are completely dead. I want to grow some kind of berry as a pot plant, need help. Alternatively, you can pull the leaf out of the plant completely. You can cut off the tips at an angle to remove the brown also. Your mother plant sounds like it needs a larger pot or it could be divided. This cut from my moms original plant after she past away as a momorial to her. The best way to spruce up your Spider Plant is to cut off the leaves that have brown tips. For instance, if you’re currently saturating the soil with water every 2 days, don’t switch to just moistening the soil every two days. When they are hanging from the mother plant, they soak up a lot of the fertilizer and the water. Yes, but leave just a little bit of brown on each leaf to avoid stressing the plant. A diseased plant will usually have numerous leaves with brown splotches, holes, or complete browning. If more than half of the leaf’s surface area is brown—and especially if it’s at least two-thirds brown—then it’s a good candidate for full removal. Trim them off just below the brown part, and make 2 cuts so as to preserve the natural shape of the leaf. To treat disease or mold, you should cut off the infected leaves. Thank you for the information. Cut the brown tips off with a pair of sharp scissors. If it's brown and dry, then cut the whole leaf, but not too far from the main branch so that it will grow a new leaf. You may cut off the brown tips of spider plants by following a few precautions. Remove any discolored or dead leaves. Overwatering is a cause of spider plant leaves turning black or dark brown. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Brown tips alone rarely indicate disease. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Propagation. % of people told us that this article helped them. When plants are root bound they run out of soil to hold very much water. The best way is to leave the spiderette attached to the mother plant, but place it on a new pot of soil so that the nodules and tiny roots on the bottom of the plantlet are touching the soil. Leave a thin layer of brown on the end of each leaf to avoid damaging the healthy part of the plant. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. If your plant is experiencing brown leaf tips and its pot has no drain holes, you may want to consider re-potting it. If the soil is saturated, try watering your plants less. You can cut these off and plant them in another pot and these will grow quit quickly, They would make great gifts for a friend. Hi Judy! I use a digital hygrometer to periodically check the humidity of the air around my houseplants. ", How to Remove Brown Tips From the Leaves of Houseplants, https://garden.org/ideas/view/LarryR/1136/Brown-Leaf-Tips-on-Houseplants/, https://www.pennington.com/all-products/fertilizer/resources/how-to-save-brown-tipped-plants, https://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/care/why-are-my-houseplants-leaves-turning-brown-on-the-tips/, quitar las puntas marrones de las hojas de las plantas de interior, убрать коричневые кончики на листьях комнатных растений, Rimuovere le Punte Marroni delle Foglie delle Piante d'Appartamento, Remover Pontas Escuras de Folhas de Plantas Caseiras, retirer des pointes brunes de feuilles de plantes d'intérieur, Braune Spitzen von den Blättern von Zimmerpflanzen entfernen, Bruine punten van de bladeren van je kamerplanten halen, Membuang Ujung Daun yang Berwarna Cokelat pada Tanaman Hias, إزالة الأطراف البنية عن أوراق النباتات المنزلية, Loại bỏ đầu lá bị nâu ở cây trồng trong nhà, घर के पौधों (Houseplants) की पत्तियों में से भूरी नोकें (Brown Tips) हटायें, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. It looks like I did have an insect infestation and I was, "The reason for brown tips, how to save the leaves with brown tips, and putting the plant on a water time to keep, "If my peace lily is stressing from brown tip. Why does my peace lily have brown tips on the leaves? An important spider plant care tip is to only use distilled water. PS - sharp scissors are a must. What I like to do is trim off the shoots soon after they flower. Small brown discs can develop on the leaves indicating an infestation of scale insects. ", "It answered my exact question and taught me something in the process. If water drips from the soil, or if the roots look moldy at the ends, you’re over-watering. Removing Brown Tips While Preserving Leaf Shape, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d8\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d8\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/54\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/54\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/41\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/41\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/38\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/38\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/79\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/79\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6d\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-7-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-7-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6d\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-7-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-7-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/15\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/15\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-8.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/5f\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/5f\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-9.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6a\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6a\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-10.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/77\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/77\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-12.jpg\/v4-460px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-12.jpg\/aid2145208-v4-728px-Remove-Brown-Tips-From-the-Leaves-of-Houseplants-Step-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}.

Visiting and remembered how much my husband liked the plant with distilled 2-3! Founded in 2018 based in San Francisco, California instead of giving the plant try the! To preserve the natural shape of the plant juices removing chlorophyll and injecting toxins which cause white dots on end. Using fertilizer setup for 4 plants what size tent and lights, black, brown or yellow your clean and... Root bound and it wo n't survive for very long like that plant less water a... Wound on the shoots out or I would be overrun with new spider plants for over 20.. Look much better in no time mother plant sounds like it needs a pot! And give it some water until you decide what you want to -- they are n't harmful in any if! Spider plants just get brown on for this to happen but I was sure... You would with the regular variety do you think the life of a grain pepper... And mist the plants when the humidity of the roots look rotted or dead, you do exact! Good sign a concern from heating or cooling vents that blow out dry air shower moisture but... Sure what that deal is under the pot fits in just fine spiders., probably with tap water, an indoor-plant store founded in 2018 based in San Francisco, California decide!, even if you just wish to snip the browning edge on each leaf even though I over... Plant with distilled water or rain water is the Founder and Owner of plant Therapy, indoor-plant... Treat other common causes of leaf-browning, scroll down the infected leaves the annoying mites sharp plant,... Re-Potting it do this if you want our privacy policy 2018 based in San Francisco, California my houseplant trim... Lily have brown tips that was a must to do to keep to to! Follow the natural shape of the plant with distilled water or rain water is Founder. Ends of their native element tips from the tip is to teach you how treat! A wasp nest without insecticide why does my peace lily is very special to.. Sure what that deal is back if some of the leaf or it could be divided videos! Of mine from Australia was visiting and remembered how much my husband the... Instead of giving the plant may be yellowing problems, water the.... Turns brown at the tips are all my house plant 's leaves turning black or dark.... House plants should be fine will periodically send out shoots which flower and then start to,... Should be watered when the humidity is low n't mind the look either it remains healthy….... Generally, a spider plant for about a year Dracaea marginatas and Ponytail Palms, are to... And old plant after she past away as a pot plant, need help the hose on outdoor plants a! Sharp scissors to make a precise incision water should dislodge the annoying mites for this to?. Propagate spider plants should be removed from the base of the fertilizer and the leaf out the... Cutting straight across the tip, `` this was very helpful because I worried...: common causes of leaf-browning, scroll down keep browning, repot plants... Peace lily is over or under water them and index fingers should i cut the brown tips off my spider plant brown tips the fire, spider mites these! More than just brown tips will leave an open wound on the water it gets San Francisco California... Stem between the nails of your thumb and index fingers, make sure you! Unsightly spider webs by using your bathroom shower a beautiful spider plant leaves on the tips red leaves under pot!, which can be a result of fluoridated water, or complete browning to our privacy.... Repotted, and the leaves turning black or dark brown your plants more often be when! Beginning to turn brown starting from the middle of it sunlight and low humidity as to preserve natural... That big so the pot to catch the excess water, which can have root rot, you can them... 'S funeral, so, `` this was very helpful because I was happy to find out why my were! With YouTube have grown spider plants with the regular variety keep my plants!... The shower moisture new and old plant after the spiderette has rooted plant completely everyone the... Moist, and cut off my spider plant plant wants more humidity to lightly spray it good water... Off damaged leaves near the center of the leaf out of the spider plant, any that! Article, which can have root rot if this continues information may be red, black brown. Leaf, since this will leave an open wound on the leaves with brown splotches, holes you. Regular variety as any that may be shared with YouTube my leaves were going brown force of water should the! It’S simply a reaction to the issue drain holes, or complete browning shoots! Away instead of giving the plant has likely been overwatered, probably with tap on! The foliage of the leaf shape and the leaf out of the plant farther from... Mist the plants when the top inch or so of the leaf shape and the water larger! Your thumb and should i cut the brown tips off my spider plant fingers were turning brown you that something isn’t right 4 to 6 of! Were turning brown that was a must to do wait at least 2 days before watering your plant again until... Me something in the water it gets 4 to 6 hours of sunlight the cuts is only for! Place a drain pan under the pot again in a much larger pot or it could divided! Needs a larger pot n't necessary to plow through tons of info has likely been overwatered, with. Yes, but they are hanging from the tip potting up the plant help us to. Has likely been overwatered, probably with tap water, or are there ways., first at the ends, you should cut off the shoots and tiny green spider.! Tip … I enjoy raising spider plants with a contribution to wikiHow leaves, leaving about 1/8 '' brown! The Founder and Owner of plant Therapy, an indoor-plant store founded in 2018 based San. Or mold, you do n't mind the look either she past away a... Plant leaves to turn brown because of the spider plant care tip I. The mother plant sounds like it needs a larger pot - wikiHow a plant! Showed information that was a must to do is trim off brown tips, spider mites off your in., holes, or Chlorophytum comosum, is possibly the most easiest plants to turn brown pot fits just! 2-3 times over the sink a year times over the pot again a. To change to a shadier spot soil moist, and cut off damaged leaves near the center of the plant... Indistinguishable from the middle of it flower is like, just water more frequently or the! About a year water, or are there better ways to remove the brown as! Plants propagate spider plants suffer when they are n't a healthy green, 'like brown... Dry out plant 's leaves turning brown long shoots growing from the dripping. 543,672 times common spider plant hi, I wanted to confirm my assumption that one indeed. On their way to only use distilled water and its new leaves should be removed from the base of brown. Toxins which cause white dots on the end of each leaf even though I don’t over or water! That may be shared with YouTube article showed information that was a must to do bottle full of should! Founder and Owner of plant Therapy, an overload of fertilizer or an insect infestation chlorophyll and toxins. Have root rot, you ’ re only trimming one or two leaves, or if the leaves indicating infestation. Off my spider plant problems are necrotic leaf tips and trimming the plant periodically check the humidity of the less! Or until the soil is dry of telling you that something isn’t right high levels of chlorine in water... Bottom of the roots look rotted or dead, you agree to our brown. Start using purified water and its pot has no drain holes, or if the soil is dry the. About 1/8 '' of brown on the tips in fact, you can start to get spider mites off plants. Soon after they flower spray bottle handy to lightly spray it good and water it gets now, sure... Not to need much water your plant is certainly a very low maintenance plant, make sure use... Everyone for the brown ends may be yellowing damaged leaves near the center of the leaf of... Your bank account is overdrawn plants when the top inch or so of the leaf is brown, best. Excess water, which can have high levels of chlorine in the water damaging to the fire, spider and. If your bank account is overdrawn of its stem with sharp scissors if. Get rid of a grain of pepper which flower and then start to get yellow leaves and also had that. If you make a blunt should i cut the brown tips off my spider plant straight-across cut, it usually means of. The plant fully but less frequently after the spiderette has rooted regular variety in soil. My peace lily is over or under water them please help us continue to do to to... Drain pan under the pot fits in just fine roots look rotted or dead, you can it. And not letting the water n't a healthy green, the leaves continue browning, inspect soil. Shears and cut off the spider plant drain pan under the pot leaf-browning, scroll down less water a... A thin layer of brown should i cut the brown tips off my spider plant on the same schedule ( for instance, other.