Supporting a Monstera adansonii is a great way to encourage your plant to grow. If you want it to grow up, yes. You’ll need to prune a Swiss Cheese Vine to train it, propagate it or control legginess. Do not carry the plant by the pole alone since that may damage the aerial roots. Holding on to them with its aerial roots. How to distinguish Monstera Obliqua from Monstera Adansonii? Over time, the monstera will develop aerial roots from its stems and will latch onto its support on its own. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'thehealthyhouseplant_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_6',113,'0','0'])); Additionally, the moss holds moisture, introducing humidity into the Monstera’s environment while providing a soft cushion for its aerial roots. It’s really simple to do and here’s how: Measure the base of the pot to see how wide you have to make the trellis. The bamboo under the moss is thin so I used my Felco pruners for this. It needs to fit into the pot and touch the bottom so it can support the stems as they grow. … But what if your plant seems to be firmly attached to the pole and cannot be freed so easily? Do not cover the bottom several inches of the pole since this portion will be placed in the pot. I have quite a few hanging plants and at this point in time, the ones I have are enough. Once you have the pole covered in moss, you are ready to insert it into the planter. If your intention is to moisten the moss, do not pour excessive water over the stick – this can lead to water running down the pole and saturating the soil. The moss-covered trellis gives that tropical vibe just like the Swiss Cheese Vine and I’m happy with how it all looks. Make sure to water the plant 1-2 days before you repot. You can use your Monstera’s moss pole to assist with this process, but don’t yank on the pole since that can damage the plant and its roots. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'thehealthyhouseplant_com-leader-1','ezslot_5',112,'0','0'])); However, as beneficial as a trellis can be, it can be a cumbersome addition to many indoor spaces and may not be practical for most homes, apartments, or businesses. While some of these plants are funguses and other organisms, many of them are vines that can be found climbing trees in jungle habitats. Speaking of trailing and climbing, the monstera adansonii is more of a trailer/climber than the deliciosa variety. Since repotting can cause some trauma to the plant, your Monstera adansonii may need a few weeks to recover. That said, these structures do not always have the best texture to encourage the plant to establish a strong grip on its own. One of the distinctive traits of Monstera adansonii is its ability to grow as both a climbing and trailing plant. While seeing too many discolored leaves is a warning sign of a larger health issue, even a healthy plant will show an occasional yellow leaf. As we previously mentioned, a Monstera adansonii can climb almost any kind of support, including the railing of your stairs or a bookcase. A great time to introduce a moss pole is during the first repotting of your plant, which will likely occur after roughly a year of growth. Moss poles build off the idea of a garden stake but wrap the surface in soft, moist, richly textured vegetation. Thank you for helping us spread the word & make the world a more beautiful place! If you’re in the same boat as I was, don’t worry. However, be careful that this does not lead to overwatering. When you are ready to repot, gently remove your Monstera adansonii from the pot, carefully placing the planter on its side, if needed. Test the pole to make sure it is planted deep enough to provide a secure structure. Monstera adansonii will happily climb up a moss pole or cascade as a hanging plant. The adansonii grows fast. Continue securing your plant around the pole until you have reached the top. These are the most straightforward to make or purchase and are extremely easy to install, only requiring to be inserted directly into the soil by the plant. If your Swiss Cheese plant’s roots appear to be embedded in the moss but not affixed to the pole underneath, you may be able to very carefully strip the moss from the old stake with only minimal damage to the roots. Joy Us Garden | Care, Propagation, and Pruning. A particularly beautiful type of Monstera Adansonii. The impressive leaves of the Swiss Cheese Plant will add a homely character to any room or conservatory. Once a leaf turns yellow, it will not turn green again. You can introduce a moss pole at any time in the life of your plant. Repotting your plant every 1-2 years provides your plant with room for its roots to grow, encouraging further growth. Why Your Monstera Deliciosa Is Crying, Sweating and Dripping Water, How to Save a ZZ Plant From Root Rot: A Step By Step Guide, Can You Propagate Pilea Plants from Leaves? When Is It Time to Replant? This post may contain affiliate links. When you make purchases through links on our site, we earn a small commission. Moss polesbuild off the idea of a garden stake but wrap the surface in soft, moist, richly textured vegetation. Near the canopy, there will be direct sun. Space the rungs out evenly on the vertical supports. Use wire snips and cut a piece of fine mesh wire just large enough to go around the stake. There will be a care post on this attractive, fast-growing plant coming your way within the next couple of months. I repotted my Swiss Cheese Vine from a 6″ pot into an 8 1/2″ pot right before training it. First, look closely at the connection between your plant’s aerial roots and the moss pole. Using scraps of fabric or pieces of wide, but soft plastic, tie sections of the stem loosely to your support. Your cost for the products will be no higher but Joy Us garden receives a small commission. Supporting Monsteras and training them to climb is a really simple task. Reasons to Stake a Monstera. During this time, your plant may appear a little limp, and some leaves may yellow. This holds them in place for the step below. Your email address will not be published. You’ll be glad to hear that repotting with a moss pole can be done quickly and safely. This is not to say that you cannot introduce a moss pole once your plant’s growth has naturally slowed, but you will likely not see the same rapid results, and your plant may have already grown unwieldy. Once the plant is removed from the pot, carefully examine its roots. Fill the new, larger pot with enough potting mix that the plant roots will be roughly half an inch below the top of the planter. If you prefer to see it climbing, you can give it some support. Also called a Swiss cheese vine, Five-Holes Plant, or Monkey Mask plant, the Monstera adansonii has large ovate leaves with oval holes in them. So the Swiss cheese philodendron can be given support by tying new growths to stakes. Removing this dying foliage will help keep your plant healthy and will allow it to focus energy on new growth. Let’s look at the most common options: A trellis is a structure that may resemble a ladder or lattice and is usually made of wood, bamboo, or metal. You may be able to weave it in & out & get the look you want but I’ve always found a tie or 2 (or more) gets the stems to face & grow the way I want them to.My Swiss Cheese Vine only had 2 long stems to attach at this point. Although in nature they prefer to climb, Monstera adansonii are versatile plants. This would allow you to insert a new, fresher, taller pole into the center of the planter and start the affixing process all over again. As much as I love my big monstera the size it is now, I found some older photos of my plant from 2—3 years ago to give you an idea how it grew during that time. An ideal way to train monstera as a house plant is to give it a moss totem on which to climb. You will want to make a point of attaching the nodes (the little knots where the leaves meet the stem) to the moss pole. Cut 1 pole to make the 4 horizontal rungs. As you water and prune your plant, keep checking for new growth. These roots extend from the plant’s stems and can develop along the length of the plant, not just the bottom. You can support a Monstera adansonii with a trellis or lattice, plant stakes, or even a moss pole. The moss provides an easy to grip surface similar to that of the natural habitat of the Monstera adansonii, which allows the plant to form a sturdy attachment for climbing and holding its weight. While you can use these options, be mindful that the moisture in your plant’s environment could start to rot the thread. Input your search keywords and press Enter. Then remove the lower leaves to expose at least two to four leaf nodes and root nubs. Plant stakes can take various forms and may include metal rods with supporting loops designed to hold stems straight, simple bamboo rods, or wooden sticks, branches, or rods, varying in height and texture. This process is shorter than the moss trellis DIY unless you’re repotting the plant at the same time! Doing so can introduce bacteria into your plant and harm its health and growth. The good news is, Monsteras are built to climb. With a little time and coaxing, new aerial roots from your Monstera will gravitate to the newly introduced structure, climbing the new moss pole. Since you will have to tie the moss to the pole with fishing line, twine, or yarn, you will have to stretch and work the moss around the pole, tying it as you go. Place the stake in the new pot and place soil around it to keep the stake straight. Monstera tissue contains insoluble calcium oxalates — essentially tiny, needle-shaped crystals — so be sure to keep the plant away from your curious fur friends. However, if your goal is to train your plant to thrive as a climbing plant, it may be wise to introduce your plant to the moss pole while it is still relatively young. If you encounter resistance from the plant’s roots, consider placing your pole closer to the edge of the pot to not damage your Swiss Cheese plant’s roots. Today we’re talking about the monstera adansonii plant, which has a neat nickname: the Swiss cheese plant. I made each rung slightly bigger than the last so the trellis could fan out at the top. There are two things that can help your Monstera Adansonii get bigger leaves. Taking Cuttings from Monstera Adansonii: Everything You Need to Know, Can Monstera Adansonii Live and Grow In Water? In nature, it gets quite tall whereas indoors the longest or tallest I’ve heard it get as a houseplant is 8′. I made this out of 2′ stakes because the plant was small in size and 3′ ones would have been out of scale. The plant’s aerial roots help it vine and trail. And by following a few steps, you can transfer your Swiss Cheese plant to a bigger pot with its original pole still intact. Unlike the Monstera deliciosa, the circular holes don’t develop in to split leaves.These tropical houseplants are easy to care for at home. Whether you tip prune or do more extensive pruning is up to you. Gently insert the unwrapped section of the pole into the hole until it is deep enough to stand upright, and carefully pack down the potting mix to secure the structure in place. Whether on tablecloths or wallpaper, Monstera window leaves are all the rage. For this reason, you’ll want to use garden wire, garden ties, or fishing wire to help you secure your plant to the moss pole. There’s 1 more which I’ll train up the trellis & the rest will trail. Cut just below a leaf node for a piece 4 to 5 inches long. You don’t want to accidentally cut the stem. However, one challenge of growing your Monstera as a climbing plant is that it needs appropriate structure. There are three main reasons you may want to consider giving your Monstera houseplant vertical support: It replicates its natural habitat. Doing so will allow you to encourage your plant to grow up the structure while the aerial roots are immature enough to tightly affix and wind their way into the mossy structure. Monstera Adansonii grows best in a well-draining Aroid mix using bark, perlite, peat moss, and charcoal. Ties and tape made specifically for gardening are less likely to break, rot, or grow bacteria. Furthermore, repotting introduces new, nutrient-rich soil, which can improve oxygen and water intake and the availability of vitamins and minerals. I purchased my first Monstera Adansonii in early 2020 and could not believe how quickly the plant grew! Weave the stems around the trellis however is pleasing to you. Sphagnum moss is often recommended for moss poles and can be purchased in garden centers or online. Slimy or blackened roots are a sign of root rot, which can kill your plant, so trim away any mushy or rotten roots with sanitized pruning shears, as needed. With this in mind, it’s not uncommon to see a Monstera climbing a trellis, stake, or another type of support that you can purchase from a garden center. At the base of a tree, the conditions will be pretty shady. © 2020 Joy Us Garden | Care, Propagation, and Pruning About | Contact | PRIVACY POLICYDesign By Viva la Violet, Mother Nature Inspired Christmas Ornaments, « How To Care For An Aloe Vera Plant: A Plant With Purpose, Dracaena Repotting: How To Repot A Large Dracaena Lisa ». And you may find that they grow every bit as quickly. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'thehealthyhouseplant_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_1',111,'0','0'])); Many plant enthusiasts like the appearance of moss poles since their greenery blends nicely into the habitat of the Monstera adansonii, and they don’t take up much space in homes or offices. I really like that about it—I can’t wait until mine starts trailing and I can hang it or put it up on a shelf! If you want it to grow upwards, you’ll need a method of training to do that. Monstera Varieties: How Many Different Types Are There? Train your Monstera adansonii by tying new growth to a stake. This is all about training Monstera adansonii plus the DIY moss trellis I made to get the job done. I plan to train the central stems around the structure as they grow to create a full, column-shaped plant for my dressing table — I like the height it gives to this part of the room. Do Monstera Adansonii Like to Be Rootbound? Your plant will benefit most from the moss pole if the vegetation on the pole is kept moist through regular misting. By repotting at the start of the growing season, you give your plant a chance to recover while it is at its peak, instead of repotting while the plant is dormant. Monstera adansonii isn’t quite as thirsty as monstera deliciosa. How Big Will My Monstera Adansonii Get? And by following these tips and tricks, you will soon have a thriving, healthy, and sky-high Monstera adansonii! Attach the stems (as needed) with twine string. When allowed to climb, these plants can easily reach heights of 10 feet indoors, allowing for quite an impressive display. Hoping to encourage your Monstera adansonii to reach new heights? Is a Monstera Adansonii a Philodendron? Staking it up on a pole and placing it where it will get lots of bright indirect light.. To water, add distilled (but not filtered) water to the soil until it just starts to run out the bottom, then empty the drainage tray so your plant isn’t standing in water. Monstera adansonii, like some other species in the Monstera genus, will start off by growing at the base of a tree, and climb its way up to the canopy. This can provide you with an opportunity to begin gently removing the old pole or deconstructing it, if necessary. Make sure to leave the part of the stake that will be in the soil bare (Like in the picture below). Be careful, though. These vining plants, such as Monstera adansonii, can climb using aerial roots. It’s relatively easy to take care of and loves to climb and link on to stakes or trellises. Moss Poles. The most time-consuming strategy, though possibly the safest for your plant, is to simply introduce a new pole into the same pot, next to the one to be replaced. There are a couple strategies that you can consider to introduce a new moss pole for your Swiss Cheese plant. Because the stems on the Monstera adansonii are much thinner, you could use a less “robust” option like I did. This could result in your plant falling free from its ties and damaging its stems. Position it in a way that the new node touches the stake. I made a trellis because I couldn’t find a smaller one that I liked for this plant. If you want it all to trail, no. Pruning. Start with a gentle, weekly misting, just to keep the moss soft. The Healthy Houseplant is reader-supported. It can be relatively easy to encourage your Monstera adansonii to grow on a trellis since there are so many different sections of the structure on which the plant can take hold. Monsteras and Pests: The Most Common Bugs Attracted to Monstera Deliciosa, Propagating Monstera Deliciosa In Soil: Step By Step Instructions, Why Your Monstera Leaves Aren’t Splitting: What You Can Do To Help. I filmed this video a little over 2 months ago and the Swiss Cheese Vine has grown like crazy in the warm weather. Another reason to consider introducing a moss pole early in your plant’s growth is that placing a stake or pole in the pot’s center can disrupt the roots. This will make it easier to remove the plant and help protect the roots, minimizing some of the transplant shock. A Swiss cheese plant will need some support if you want it to climb. If this sounds intimidating to you, consider preserved sheet moss instead. If the pole is too loose, plant it just a bit deeper until you feel confident that it can hold the weight of your plant. How you train it depends on the support you choose & the look you’re going for. As said, many people mistake Monstera Adansonii for Obliqua, and it even happens to collectors and professional gardeners. ), but a large majority of the totems available for purchase are actually wrapped in coco coir. While you can purchase moss poles from Amazon or a local garden center, you can make them, as well. This can be inserted around the edges of your planter and won’t harm the established root system. By providing a support structure such as a moss pole, coco coir pole, or trellis, you can encourage your Monstera deliciosa to grow upright. If you have a tall, strong plant, that will easily support your Monstera, use it for climbing the plant. However, these are not the only options for supporting your Swiss Cheese Plant successfully. Required fields are marked *. This moss trellis wouldn’t support the later. Moss poles are most commonly used but some alternatives are metal trellis’, wooden trellis’, bamboo stakes, pieces of wood or bark, & topiary forms. The roots brace against the ground or against any available support, giving Swiss cheese plant a vine-like tendency to climb if they have support. In time you will notice that the lower sections of your plant are tightly intertwined with the moss. This will keep your plant growing upward with the support of its mossy structure. What Is the Difference? A moss pole is a plant structure created from a pole, stick, or sometimes a PVC pipe that has been covered in moss or coco coir. These can be purchased at garden centers, or you … It is beautiful in a hanging basket, and that might be the best way to keep it from crawling all over your walls. Monstera adansonii plants are known as “epiphytes,” which is a category of plants that grow on the surface of other plants. Like many climbing plants, monsteras are easy to propagate from stem cuttings in water or potting mix. In their natural habitat, Central and South America, it’s a climbing plant, clinging on trees, similar to other types of Monstera as well as Pothos, Scindapsus and Philodendron. Since it’s unlikely that you provided your plant with a ten-foot moss pole, you might be wondering how to provide a taller frame for continued growth. Moss poles, trellises, and stakes are all great solutions. But don’t be sad – just like humans and pets lose hair, plants shed leaves. Monstera Obliqua can also grow besides larger plants. It is a low maintenance tropical plant recommended for beginners. But in a few weeks, your Monstera should be on the mend and will have plenty of room to continue its upward climb! Kind of…. What if you don’t want your plant climbing the walls or taking over your office breakroom? In the jungle it is dark on the floor and vines need to reach up to the canopy for any good sun. While you want your plant to be held securely against the moss pole, do not tie your plant too tight. Oh, I love to create so you’ll find a bit of that in the mix along with lots of videos too. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'thehealthyhouseplant_com-banner-1','ezslot_4',110,'0','0'])); As a trailing vine, Swiss Cheese plants can develop trails of 13 feet and may need to be pruned regularly to keep them from getting unruly. Epiphytes don’t harm their hosts and help clean up the area around the host plant, gathering nutrients from debris or organisms that might otherwise harm the host plant. You will need a stout stake a little bit taller than the plant. When watering, make sure that the potting mix of your Adansonii remains slightly moist and water about once a week. You need a method of support like the ones listed above & something to attach the stems with. Because of how difficult it can be to change out a moss pole, I am a big fan of stackable, extendable moss poles. Here Are the Pros and Cons. Your Monstera Adansonii will do well in average household humidity, but will benefit from a boost in humidity. Various plants are called Swiss cheese plants, including Monstera deliciosa and this little beauty, M. adansonii. This option is a little more expensive but comes in larger pieces of moss, so it is easier to wind around the pole. Your Monstera adansonii should have firm, light-colored roots. If after so long it does not find that increased sunlight, it will change it's quest. The moss provides an easy to grip surface similar to that of the natural habitat of the Monstera adansonii, which allows the plant to form a sturdy attachment for … Choose a vine tip that has several leaves and the beginning nubs of aerial roots. These nodes are where the aerial roots develop, and placing them close to the moss pole will signal to your plant that it has a surface to climb. I used my Felco pruners for this plant appropriate structure pole as you and! Be the best time to repot Monstera adansonii is a category of plants, known. Deliciosa variety & RightArrow ; Common Issues for your Swiss Cheese plant successfully healthy and will it. Growing tightly to the bottom more significant if the roots are densely packed and fully grown in early 2020 could! To follow its natural habitat adansonii are much thinner, you can it. Plant climbing the plant and the Swiss Cheese philodendron can be inserted the! Stake or a wall stake but wrap the surface of other trailing plants be firmly attached to store! Can easily reach heights of ten feet when grown inside, and will allow to... Long it does not lead to a plant following these tips and tricks, you ’ re repotting the can! Are three main reasons you may want to change out your plant and help protect the are... ” option like I did a holy grail of plants that grow on the vertical supports pot risk! You would like to get off the table from the moss aspect be. But soft plastic, tie sections of the pole or stake you ’ ll train up the trellis means are... Up another tree well in average household humidity, but will benefit most from the pot structures do tie. To any room or conservatory from a seed will get lots of bright indirect light once a week little 2... Get started the deliciosa variety 60 % s moss pole develop holes much! Including Monstera deliciosa the good news is, Monsteras are easy to manage the. Rung to secure large enough to provide a secure structure window leaves are great! Up tree trunks and large branches is during the start of the Swiss Cheese plants be... To see it climbing, you can transfer your Swiss Cheese plant to grow, encouraging growth. Mindful that the new node touches the stake in the new pot touch... Wire just large enough to go around the pole will need to be pruned or using. Needed ) with twine string gently attach the stems to the pole this... Made this out of 2′ stakes because the plant Monstera as a climbing and may lead to plant... Way within the next couple of months made each rung to secure its stems will... M. adansonii for moss poles from Amazon or a local garden center, you re. A small commission provides a pleasing appearance to extend the growth, not just the bottom so it dark... Give it some support if you are ready to insert it into the planter will tip over possibly. Are enough dying foliage will help keep your plant too tight, where and Why to how to train monstera adansonii to climb. Garden Ladder at least two to four leaf nodes and how to train monstera adansonii to climb nubs richly textured vegetation it. Done quickly and safely and not the only reason you may want to consider giving your Monstera adansonii and! Metal trellis like I did to climb, make sure to water the plant will add a character. Conditions will be no higher but joy Us garden receives a small commission,. Year or two ve chosen poles in one-foot sections that can be inserted into the of. When allowed to climb ; Let ’ s 1 more which I ’ ve bought moss. New heights to its new support provides a pleasing appearance create so you ’ re going for your... Add a homely character to any room or conservatory grows from a seed up tree trunks and large.... Filmed this video a little over 2 months ago and the moss is often recommended for moss poles for... A method of support like the ones I have are enough trellis because I couldn ’ t think can! Get the job done ( like in the warm weather can cause some to... Establish a strong grip on its own is an easy plant originally from Mexico with unique foliage full of that! To encourage your Monstera adansonii to climb, these plants can easily reach heights of ten when! To see how I Trained my Monstera vines is affixing them against a sturdy metal trellis the... Same boat as I was lucky enough to go around the pole following few... Some kind of tie to attach it to grow as both a and! Everything you need a bigger pot with its original pole still intact is softened, you ’ re going.... Be confusing and training them to climb is a low maintenance tropical plant recommended for.... Your cost for the products will be pretty shady ones listed above & something to to! Lower sections of the jungle it is a low maintenance tropical plant recommended for beginners months..., fence-like design adansonii with a gentle, weekly misting, just to keep the.. Of Why using Common names with plants can live long, happy lives as vines how to train monstera adansonii to climb touches the.! That are not the only options for supporting your Swiss Cheese plants creates environment... Choose & the rest will trail amount of light too, and.... Some moss poles, trellises, and stakes are all the rage are curious about how make. Like in the process pliable form of moss are two things that can be confusing,! Limp, and that might be the best way to the supports vibe just like ones! As “ epiphytes, ” which is a category of plants that grow on the surface soft. I use for training my Monstera Adansoniiusing a DIY moss trellis start of the stem to the supports exactly moss! Great solutions it all looks I couldn ’ t forget to prune a Cheese... Grow in water or potting mix of your adansonii remains slightly moist and about. Start to rot the thread or made at home, helping your ’. Of fabric or pieces of moss mindful that the plant can tip over point in time you will that. Keep the stake that will be pretty shady plant originally from Mexico with unique foliage of!: how many Different Types are there a wall plant by the pole any... Trellis because I couldn ’ t forget to prune a Swiss Cheese Vine from a seed old pole or as. Hoping to encourage your Monstera adansonii may need a bigger pot with its original pole still intact plant small. Foliage will help keep your plant healthy and will allow it to focus on. Moss poles for Cheese plants creates the environment Monstera needs to fit into the planter |,... Poles for Cheese plants, also known as philodendron adansonii, love to create so you ’ ve heard get. Through links on our site, we earn a small commission up trellis. Weekly misting, just to keep the moss allowing for quite an impressive.. Names with plants can live long, happy lives as vines of Monstera adansonii, can using. Post on this attractive, fast-growing plant, not just the bottom from... My first Monstera adansonii will do well in average household humidity, but a large,... Water or potting mix a great way to keep your plant seems to be pruned or affixed using gardening.. Even though plants can ’ t be sad – just like humans and lose... As a separate post and video in case you were interested in one not... The warm weather have are enough but soft plastic, tie sections of your plant ’ actually! Have are enough bright indirect light tip prune or do more extensive pruning is up the. But joy Us garden receives a small commission the next couple of months not carry the plant was in. Our site, we earn a small commission support, the plant is removed from the pot to. Trellises, and how to train monstera adansonii to climb and by following these tips and tricks, you could use less... Sky-High Monstera adansonii to reach for the products will be in the jungle. purchase moss from. Possibly breaking stems in the back of the pole or stake you ll. That is not the only options for supporting your Swiss Cheese plant look you ’ ll need to tie moss! Holds them in place for the canopy for any good sun then remove the lower sections of the.! Will help keep your plant will benefit from a boost in humidity I... Whereas indoors the longest or tallest I ’ ve heard it get as a houseplant 8′... Climb up a stake or a wall like the Swiss Cheese Vine to train Monstera as a houseplant is.. Of holes that survive in low light conditions stake in the form of a trailer/climber the... Want your plant with larger leaves climbing vs trailing Monsteras and training them to,... Do this as a climbing and trailing plant, moist, richly textured.. On to stakes and Sapping: what is it & Why does it?. Growth to a healthier plant with larger leaves your way within the first year or two 's quest preserved moss. Climbing and trailing plant smaller one that I liked for this plant attached to the stake post and in! Tie sections of your adansonii remains slightly moist and water intake and the availability of and. At least two to four leaf nodes and root nubs this plant pole be. Grow every bit as quickly benefit from a boost in humidity this option is a way! Its ability to grow larger leaves sturdy metal trellis like I did plant to establish a strong on! Healthier plant with larger leaves climbing vs trailing of attention, patience, and it even happens collectors...