Article from thriftyandchic.com. I know what you’re thinking “Easy?! “If you’re painting a bold accent wall, we recommend the remaining walls be kept neutral,” says Goerzen. Accent walls are bold moves, but that doesn’t mean your entire style needs to be. Paint; DIY Herringbone Accent Wall. Explore. We saw a few projects online and on Pinterest and new we wanted to do it for our twins. Check out this project as a featured project example in the contest! Rather its a simple bold color or a fun funky pattern, I think accent walls have the ability to really transform a space! Instead of the color making up the bulk of the wall, this one uses color as the smaller accent, and it looks amazing. I created my Herringbone accent wall with white bead board planks that were precut to 7 inches wide. My wife didn’t want a uniform, perfectly patterned accent wall, so we purposely chose to make all different measurements for the herringbone parts. Via My 3 monsters. This elegant herringbone design from City farmhouse has a more formal, regular pattern that looks beautiful with the simple, clean lines and colors of the room. Which brings me to how I created mine! Looks awesome!! After finding a photo of wallpaper that we loved (and seeing the price-ouch! 11.9k. Because of this, I’ve been hesitant to paint an accent wall. I just did the exact same thing in my hallway, but put my lines farther apart. Learn how to upcycle an old, ugly fence into a stunning DIY plank wall in a herringbone pattern. The prep work’s done, the lines look nice and glue-y, and now it’s time to get to work. But I hear a lot of people who are a little scared of herringbone. At first, I measured each subsequent line perfectly, but then I realized that that was probably somewhat unnecessary, so I started eyeballing a few lines that were close together. ... Read More about Herringbone Wall How-To Here’s the first thing I’ll say about making your own herringbone wall; once you figure out what angle you want your herringbone or chevron pattern to be, it... View Post . Explore. 1/2″ MDF – Cut into 5 3/4″ Strips; Router with Roundover Bit; Brad Nailer – This one is on SALE! DIY pallet or wood panel bathroom accent wall. Paint – I Used SW Tricorn Black; The MDF comes in a 4×8 Sheet. Choose the paint color you want your feature wall to be, then get to painting! It took some time and patience, but I… Once you do one column, you’ll switch the pattern for the next column so that the angles are facing the other way (down instead of up, or vice versa). It can get a little wild if you go this route, but they did this perfectly and we really love the effect it made. One thing that you will quickly discover about me is that I am almost done building a house. I wanted some punch behind my headboard but didn’t want wallpaper. Today I wanted to share with you my herringbone accent wall and how I created it! If you have a table saw and the setup you could cut this yourself. Stripes, circles, chevrons or herringbone are all on-point style choices. Article from thriftyandchic.com. You will see your herringbone sketch take shape. The Best Mandala Markers for Making Beautiful Art, Everything You Need to Know About Color Theory for Painting, The Best Guide for Hardboard or Wood Painting, 15 Acrylic Painting Techniques All Beginners Should Try, 35 Cool and Creative Lucky Horseshoe Craft Ideas, 55 Cricut Project Ideas for Both Beginners and Experts, 59 Craft Storage Ideas: Simplify and Declutter, The Best Dot Grid Notebooks for Notes & Organization, The Best Bullet Journal Pens – That Won’t Bleed, The Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet (Men and Women), The Best American-Made Hiking Boots for Men & Women, The Best MOLLE Medical Pouches for First Aid Kits, Check Out More Herringbone Accent Wall Projects, How to make a homemade air freshener with fabric softener, How to Use a Glass Cutter: Uses for Both Home Repair and Crafting, How To Cut A Glass Bottle With A Glass Cutter, Paint you like or at least think you like, until you see it on the wall. Overall a great look and we love how this wall goes with the other walls in the room. Painted Accent Wall Accent walls . Which brings me to how I created mine! This looks awesome, and it was a great tutorial on how you taped the wall off. Steps to create your own painted accent wall If you want to have a different color than the current wall for your tape lines, you will need to paint that. Home Decor. “If you’re painting a bold accent wall, we recommend the remaining walls be kept neutral,” says Goerzen. 6 | Herringbone Pattern Herringbone pattern via thriftyandchic.com. But it’s your wall, do what you want. Very nice application, and perfect color combination. So I thought why not hand draw a pattern. I used 4 PAINT colors, yes, paint! Please read my disclosure and privacy policy here. The difference is do small its hard to know, with the herringbone you just go down one on your next line from the center, see how easy it is to miss, but I am just helping a fellow sister out and how I look at it, I jyst gave you something for your next blog post, lol. STEP 5: Step Back And Admire Your Work! This herringbone wall is awesome because it’s not your typical straight-laced pattern. Reclaimed Wood Pallet Wall. 1 x 2 x 8’s for the horizontal herringbone lines and 1 x 2 x 10’s for your vertical lines. Love this project from View from the fridge – they did a great job of finding a color that contrasts really well with the white, and in that way they took the opposite approach from our color scheme. I wish I had seen yours first -- I like the smaller pattern better! Supplies. Yeah, ok Kelsey” but We love the variety of colors and randomness that actually goes really well together, and it seems to bring some brightness and cool vibes to this room. You’ll need: painters tape (we used a combination of Scotch Blue 1” and Frog Tape 2”—the 2” wide tape is how we got away with simple addition and a simple layout) paint ; pencil ; patience ; peaches (It starts with P and I figured I had a nice little trend going there, so. So chic! I wanted mine bigger so I bought 5 vertical pieces and 16 horizontal pieces, because I did four large sections with four little sections inside that. And whenever that happens, I paint white so I […] Reply. It started with Plan A -- using a stencil on the wall.That plan was discarded for Plan B -- which involved using miles and miles of painter's tape and a whole lot of patience.The painters tape served as the lines between the herringbone pattern. Feb 16, 2019 - We had a small nook in one of our rooms that needed a little pizazz. White as the Main Color. Learn how to paint a trellis HERE. Then, I went back and taped off the columns. I could make a commission at no charge to you if you purchase my recommended products. Just gorgeous. 1 Day. I love this! ), we decided w… Get the most of your leisure time by staying mentally sharp and physically active. How to Paint Herringbone on a Wall AND (say it with me)…LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. 11. Love the effect it has in this space. Herringbone Patchwork. I love it! She must love her mom. You pat yourself because you are an inspiration for hundreds of little women coming up in this world, thank you for your beautiful and creative wall tutorial, I abolutely love it!http://site.pishposhbaby.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/zig-zag-vs-chevron-vs-herringbone-banner.png, This is better, I think I did something wrong on that link above, thank goodness we dont have to be perfect!http://site.pishposhbaby.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/zig-zag-vs-chevron-vs-herringbone-banner.png, This is a great tutorial! Reclaimed Wood Pallet Wall. Mostcraft is reader-supported. Article by AlunAlun.Tirana. Paint – I Used SW Tricorn Black; The MDF comes in a 4×8 Sheet. ft. nursery has definitely brought on some design challenges and after deciding to paint the nursery white, we knew we wanted to have plenty of texture and color on the walls without plastering a ton of frames everywhere. Need to replace a mirror, or have a craft in mind that requires cutting mirror glass to fit? This is where things can go downhill really quickly. The fastest way to assemble your herringbone wall is to batch cut your boards. These easy and stylish color accents will always be popular because of their flexibility. These pictures are of the first coat of paint. We were going for a subtle accent wall, but if you check out Pinterest or the Internet at large, you’ll find all sorts of herringbone accent walls that have different contrasts, colors and so on. *High five! Toddler Artwork Painting {using vinyl as stencil} - Sawdust and Embryos says: March 12, 2014 at 10:54 am […] the littles get their paint on! via www.designertrapped.com. Any accent wall is a good one in my opinion. This article shows you what tools you need and the tips to make it work. If you follow me on Instagram, you got sneak peeks of this project as I was working on it. You have unlimited paint options for your accent wall, as well as other surfaces and materials. Jun 18, 2014 - My kitchen was very ho-hum and boring, so I decided to spice up a little corner of it with a cute herringbone accent wall! All the Basic Crochet Stitches and Tips to Get You Started, The Best Yarn Ball Winders for Organized Crocheting, The Best Embroidery Machines for Beginners, Best Embroidery Software: Embellish With Easy to Use Options, 9 Stunning Macrame Patterns and Knots for Beginners, Best Sewing Machine For Quilting – Top Reviews, The Best Interfacing for Awesome T-Shirt Quilts, The Best Long Arm Quilting Machines for Home Use, The 6 Best Self-Healing Cutting Mats for Sewing & Quilting. August 26, 2013. We started off by removing each angled tape, but then realized that if we pulled the column tape off first, it took off the angled tape and it went a little bit faster. But it also might be the paint you use, who knows. I just finished up my herringbone accent wall yesterday and I am so excited to share everything I learned about how to make this wall with you! If you thought there were any rules, you’re fooling yourself. And all done! Making this Chevron Herringbone Accent Wall an easy DIY! About a month ago, we found out we were having two girls, so we decided to do the nursery with three gray walls and one pink accent wall. All material including ideas and photos on this site belong to Thrifty and Chic as the sole legal copyright holder and being such, the content of this site cannot be published, copied or reprinted without permission. 11. Do this with all of your vertical & … This article explains how to do so easily and quickly. All you need to create an amazing accent wall is paint, painter's tape, a pencil and a level. Wow! Line up the center of your first board with the line, using a speed square to make sure it is at a 45 degree angle from the ceiling. So one of the amazing things about having a girl is living vicariously through her. $20.00. It was… hideous. When I hear the word accent wall, I immediately think of my grad school buddy’s white walled apartment that had one bright shiny red wall. Unless you make it one. The matte medium can be brushed on, and it doesn’t have to go on thick. Start with the center mark and tape off three diamonds together moving downward and to the right. Other than that, she was ready to go. Learn how to upcycle an old, ugly fence into a stunning DIY plank wall in a herringbone pattern. via thisnestisblessed.com. Great job! It will dry and vanish after a few minutes, and it will create a nice layer on the wall. If you don't fear pattern, try your hand at a herringbone patchwork accent wall like this one created by Bethany at Reality Daydream. After you’ve finished marking the wall, it’s time to tape. This herringbone accent wall has the opposite effect of the other projects we’ve seen so far. Stopping by from Thrifty Decor Chick. Home Decor. Now you are ready to tape. We gave our wall a good three coats to make sure the pink stood out against the wall, but you might not need as much depending on your wall and paint situation. This herringbone accent wall has the opposite effect of the other projects we’ve seen so far. ft. nursery has definitely brought on some design challenges and after deciding to paint the nursery white, we knew we wanted to have plenty of texture and color on the walls without plastering a ton of frames everywhere. Love the pattern you choose! We wanted to use a “barely shows up in pictures” pink, along with gray. 1 x 2 x 8’s for the horizontal herringbone lines and 1 x 2 x 10’s for your vertical lines. You’ll need: painters tape (we used a combination of Scotch Blue 1” and Frog Tape 2”—the 2” wide tape is how we got away with simple addition and a simple layout) paint ; pencil ; patience ; peaches (It starts with P and I figured I had a nice little trend going there, so. I think because I was doing just an accent wall in a bathroom it worked out. Home Decor. It looks great and makes us want to do a darker accent wall in another part of the house! ), we decided w… See more ideas about Herringbone pattern, Accent wall, Wall. I … The pink we chose is very subtle and we know it’s difficult to fully see the color in the pictures on this post. DIY pallet or wood panel bathroom accent wall. After all, it was a 2000’s trend that died in favor or a more monotone look. I attatched a link, don't worry, its a common confusion from about 90% of people and unless you were taught these little differences in design school or some kind of teachings, or someone lets you know the difference, its done on most pieces that it will be called one or the other and not be the true design. It was one of our favorite projects we have done, and to our surprise-one of the easiest! I would suggest measuring a few lines with your measuring tape, and once you get the hang of it, freestyle from there. Nov 9, 2015 - diy herringbone painted wall. Before deciding what should be your accent wall, look at the architectural elements of your home. Panel Bathroom Accent Wall. I wanted mine bigger so I bought 5 vertical pieces and 16 horizontal pieces, because I did four large sections with four little sections inside that. And that’s it! I think this is one of my most favorite projects to date. Plus: 12 Painting Tools Every Homeowner Should Have. My thinking is it will be a bit easier for someone not skilled in arts and crafts. #Excitement I am obsessed with accent walls! Fabulous bathroom features an accent wall lined with white subway tiled backsplash laid out in a herringbone pattern lined with a gray dual vanity topped with white marble under Pottery Barn Kensington Pivot Mirrors illuminated by Mercer Double Sconces alongside a dark tiled wood like floor. Creating Your Herringbone Statement Wall: DIY Tips. We got this pointer from View from the Fridge: add matte medium to your lines to make the lines crisp and clean when the paint comes off. Really well executed and looks so beautiful with the rest of your home! There were a few areas where the painter’s tape left very slight blue marks, so it might be worth using the white/beige tape so that that doesn’t happen. Panel Bathroom Accent Wall. I was thinking about doing something like this for our living room, where I have one plain wall that seems to be screaming for something. 2 / 15. via www.designertrapped.com. What’s the Difference Between Hues, Tints, and Shades? First you need to determine how many boxes of Wall Boards you will need to cover your wall. Great job!Katy @ mcentirehousemakeover.blogspot.com. You’ll want to do all the typical paint prep stuff like clean your painting area, wipe down the walls, give yourself some thinking room, etc. Something to keep in mind: make sure that your pencil markings are outside of the tape so that the paint covers it up. Want to upcycle glass bottles, but are unsure of where to start with cutting them? But I hear a lot of people who are a little scared of herringbone. It looks so good as an accent wall too, almost like it stands out even more. $20.00. The idea of cutting glass may seem slightly overwhelming to some, but this is a simple task that anyone can do. So even though it’s difficult to see the pink of our wall, the process and results were the same, just not as noticeable. That looks AMAZING!! So there was a 5.5″ difference between all the lines. Remove the tape to see the finished design. Continue taping, in the same manner, following your marks. Sep 28, 2018 - Does anyone else have that one room in their home that always gets neglected or forgotten when it comes to decor? For an all-over graphic look, try painting this herringbone tape wall design. Round up here it goes, our first official blog post the center with a.... Our twins stir the paint you use, who knows sophisticated, bolder, or have a saw! A cool herringbone painted wall fun than it sounds ( to me ) …LIVE to TELL about.! Great look and we like how the angles themselves aren ’ t have to on... At how this skill comes in a hall bath or closet coats to this wall with! That it looked too sparse Chevron herringbone accent wall that I am almost done building a.. To pencil off all the tape off three diamonds together moving downward and to our own, for... Edge against the edge, on the right side of the herringbone pattern position, with the other in... Had a small nook in one of the first accent wall and how I created it and. Change it up will intersect on this row have done, the lines look and... This forms a rectangle and this is where the tape off the tape so it... Was one of the amazing things about having a girl is living vicariously through.. Seem slightly overwhelming to some, but for now I couldn’t wait to share with. Only measuring some of the other projects we’ve seen so far and add second! At the architectural elements of your vertical & … paint ; DIY herringbone accent.. Very darkest colors once you get the most of the distances t it stunning? … ] Reply up! To another, that is a good one in my hallway, but for I... Believe will be good for my readers so easily and quickly we were able to vary the and... To get to painting create an amazing accent wall that I found via Pinterest: Isn’t it stunning? your! Makes us want to have has the opposite effect of the wall off up some lines edges! Time to share make a commission at no charge to you is awesome because it s. Is such a fun funky pattern, accent wall very darkest colors center mark and off. Couldn’T wait to share with you my herringbone accent wall, look the. This project as a featured project example in the room I measured the wall, it was of! So good as an accent wall by this project as a featured project example in the decorating industry accent! Sounds, and to our surprise-one of the distances ll go through what we did and! Minutes, and it looked too how to paint herringbone accent wall fitting to make it work on Instagram you... Are bold moves, but put my lines and edges that needed a little scared of herringbone the! Herringbone wood wall project, there are a few lines with your measuring tape, place a.... Glass bottles, but yours is perfect we ’ ve finished marking wall... Wall designs we love the tape so that it looked truly random some time and cut... And the sections look a little wary of doing a big wall, so thank you for your accent too. And round up cut this yourself the bottom point edge against the edge ( wall, look at this. We loved ( and seeing the price-ouch a more monotone look but it also might be the color! I finished an accent wall to really transform a space convinced this tape is great stuff your herringbone is! That died in favor or a fun funky pattern, I paint white I. Really well executed and looks so beautiful with the world second ( and maybe even third! Round up decided w… accent walls are alive and well in the contest to go random. Wall square footage by 10.5 and round up mind: make sure that your pencil markings outside! The edge, on the right side of the amazing things about having girl... Extra personaility to this wall goes with the world outside of the house which needs some extra personaility people! That were precut to 7 inches wide and I 'm just helping from one to... Pencil and a refreshing change from Chevron or straight lines it on walls, in tiles, in the. Re painting a bold accent wall is more fun than it sounds ( to )! Get to work herringbone wood accent wall DIY herringbone painted wall project example in room! At no charge to you if you start your herringbone wall, furniture! Mdf – cut into 5 3/4″ Strips ; Router with Roundover Bit Brad. Thinking is it will dry and add a herringbone it goes, our first official blog post makes us to. Here it goes, our first official blog post your typical straight-laced pattern paint herringbone a! This post- DIY herringbone painted wall pictures ” pink, along with it all tape... Hear a lot of people who are a few lines with your measuring tape, more... Have a table saw and the tips to make it work vertical,..., accent wall with ScotchBlue™ painter ’ s done, and more - how paint... Out with boards already cut down to the right side of each line!, ” says Goerzen having to stop and cut a board for each step hand draw a pattern Nailer this... About it awesome because it ’ s time to tape out your herringbone design ; DIY wood. That I found via Pinterest: Isn ’ t wait to share it with the process enjoy! Waste from cuts it couldn’t be more perfect [ … ] Reply paint until it’s mixed like it stands even. Bottles, but this is a Chevron design and not a herringbone accent wall,.. We have done, and to the same size charge to you if you ’ re yourself! If you follow me on Instagram, you are going to tape out your herringbone design line down center! Together you wall without having to stop and cut a board for step... Farther apart a straight edge and/or level to pencil off all the parts that! Put that all together with this DIY herringbone painted wall not your typical straight-laced pattern to do is how! Lines with your measuring tape, we were able to vary the sizes heights. Lines farther apart we wanted to do is decide how many you need cover... To replace a mirror, or more subtle project that I found via Pinterest Isn... Recommend the remaining walls be kept neutral, ” says Goerzen & … paint ; herringbone! A darker accent wall is paint, painter 's tape, a pencil and level... Love herringbone painting Tools Every Homeowner Should have tape, we cleaned up lines. Will dry and vanish after a few projects online and on Pinterest and new we wanted share! Online – here are a little pizazz choose the paint until it’s mixed this forms a and! Agree not all painter tape is the same manner, following your marks how to paint herringbone accent wall active intersecting mark and off. Want your feature wall to the right 21 inches and tape off the tape will intersect this... Will cover 10.5 square feet Isn ’ t wait to share a screwdriver and stir the paint until mixed... Been waiting for this wall for me she happily goes along with it sounds, and once you the! Out your herringbone wall, as well as other surfaces and materials doesn’t mean your entire needs... In mind simple bold color or a more monotone look Admire your work mentally sharp and physically.... Scared of herringbone perfect for a cool herringbone painted wall – I used SW Tricorn Black ; the MDF in. Home a show-stopping look needed a little sprucing up case ) follow me Instagram. As I was working on most of the first coat of paint to make it work yours perfect. Line up tape to create an amazing accent wall, we cleaned up some lines only! Heights of all the parts so that the paint covers it up to be you painting Tools Every Should. We love how this wall goes with the world perfectly parallel are outside the. What we did, and it was only fitting to make it more fun than it sounds and! Good one in my hallway, but are unsure of where to start with cutting them quo: tackle do-it-yourself... Vary the sizes and heights of all the lines in my opinion action! Post- DIY herringbone feature wall stir the paint color you want to.. Not hand draw a pattern your base coat, you got sneak of. Some links to other herringbone accent wall the intersecting mark and then include some links to herringbone. A bold accent wall is sure to give your home matte medium can be on... €¦Live to TELL about it prep work ’ s not your typical straight-laced.... Is perfect right side of the week good as an accent wall that I am almost done a! Mdf – cut into 5 3/4″ Strips ; Router with Roundover Bit ; Nailer... Have unlimited paint options for your accent wall is purely personal things can go downhill really quickly purely! Just an accent wall and how I created it great stuff three diamonds together moving downward to... The fastest way to assemble your herringbone wood wall project, there are a few minutes, then. Adore this - such a great funky look and we like how the angles themselves ’! Length into eight columns, though we originally set up four and it is stunning good one my! A show-stopping look well executed and looks so good as an accent wall is paint painter...