The table below is the focal length equivalent after factoring in the additional magnification from teleconverters and crop sensors. But it is always time well invested. Short eared owl, Canon 1DX Mark II, 600mm f/4, f/4, 1/2000s, ISO 1600 It's one of the few areas in photography where one needs every ounce of auto focus capability, long focal length, and number of pixels to increase the odds of getting a great shot. The focal length you need to photograph wildlife depends on your prey. In this article, we have reviewed the 10 of the best lens for newborn photography including Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and a Sony lens along with a comparison table and a detailed buyer’s guide to help you choose the best lens possible. Ok, so now I’ve hopefully addressed the issue with “lens envy,” what do I actually recommend? https://birdwatchingbuzz.com/best-budget-lens-for-bird-photography NIKON D4 + 300mm f/4 @ 300mm, ISO 400, 1/100, f/8.0. Using a focal length over 120mm is a great bonus and nice to have, however, in travel photography will not be necessary (unless you do a safari or birds photography of course) Of course, on any trip, I would love to have lenses to cover a focal length from 8mm to 600mm. This is because DSLR’s have a minimum aperture that they can autofocus at. Home » Photography » What’s the Best Focal Length for Bird Photography? Take a look at the lens magnification table below for the magnification achieved by a full frame and crop sensor cameras using 1.4X and 2X teleconverters. For the 5x sample the front of the lens was mere millimeters from the subject. Focal Length The best focal length depends on your subjects and how close you can get to them. For photographing birds in flight, however, handheld 400mm f/5.6 lenses perform superbly. Variable lenses also allow you to keep a single lens on your camera which means you carry less gear and spend less time changing lenses when you could be taking photos. However, if you were to use the same 2X teleconverter on a f4 lens, your maximum aperture is reduced to f8 and autofocus will stop working. Whilst you don’t always want a frame-filling shot, they are nice to get. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens This L-series (luxury) lens is one of the finest on the market and especially popular with Canon bird photographers. Photography Ethics: Freezing Insects for Macro, The Delicate Balance of Photography and Family Life, Olympus 150-400mm f/4.5 Lens Review for Wildlife Photography, Luminar AI Review: Hands-on Look at Intelligent Editing, Nature Photography Books for Photographers this Christmas, The Best Equipment for Landscape Photography, How to Choose a Strobe for Underwater Photography, 13 Indoor Projects for Photographers This Winter, Black Friday Deals for Photographers in the USA (2020), Black Friday Deals for Photographers in the UK (2020), Sigma Unveils 105mm f/2.8 Macro ART Lens for Mirrorless, 10 Tips for Editing Landscape Photos for Beginners, How to Edit Star Photos: First Steps to Processing in Astrophotography, How to Process Woodland Photos with the Orton Effect, How to Stack Star Photos to Reduce Noise in Photoshop. Variable focal length lenses with a maximum focal length of between 400mm and 600mm are by far the most popular lenses for bird photography as they provide 8X magnification at 400mm and 12X magnification at 600mm when shooting with a full frame sensor camera. The image quality will probably suffer at those distances, however, in most cases the quality will still be sufficient for you identify birds in long distance photos. Now you’ve sorted your lens choice, you should take advantage of the wealth of information on this website. While 300mm, 400mm, and even short zoom lenses can be useful at times for bird photography, my recommendation to those seriously interested in making quality photographs of birds is to purchase a lens with a focal length of at least 500mm. It’s the focal length I started with and depended on for the first years of my career. A variable focal length lens gives you a lot more options in the field. the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Super Telephoto lens weighs about 2.8lb compared to about 3.46 lbs for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II. Focal length is the distance from the lens’s rear nodal point to the image plane inside the camera body. Easy crafts for kids: How to make Birdwatching Binoculars! Bird photography often gives you the opportunity to capture amazing action shots. This is due to the magnification effect of your camera sensor being smaller than a 35mm full frame sensor. All Rights Reserved, Bird Photography: 8 Common Mistakes to Avoid, Landscape Photography Guide to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Astrophotography on a Budget: Shooting the Night Sky, How to Take ‘Studio’ Macro Photos with a White Background, How to Attract Insects to Your Garden for Photography, How to Photograph Reptiles and Amphibians with Flash, How to Print Photos: A Photographer’s Guide, The Basics of Editing Black and White Wildlife Photographs, David Tipling: From Amateur to Professional, David Chapman: From Amateur to Professional, Mike Mezeul II: From Amateur to Professional, The Best Photos of Comet Neowise by Nature TTL Readers, Inspiration for Summer Landscape Photography, Storm Chaser Captures Lightning at 1,000fps in 4K, Hilarious Winners of Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2020, Spider Wins in New Lockdown Wildlife Photo Competition. The short answer, birdwatching is incredibly popular! Luminar vs Lightroom Comparison: Which Software is Best? For shorter focal length lenses below 500mm, fixed lenses tend to be lighter than variable lenses. The third consideration is image quality. The lens is relatively slow – just look at that aperture range. Confusing terminology, I know. Finally, weight is another factor in a decision between fixed vs variable focal length lenses. Having enough magnification to avoid cropping images will help provide enough detail so that your images not only look good but are good enough to positively identify what you have photographed. When shooting in a commercial environment, this would be unacceptable. Bird photography is an exciting and rewarding sub-set of wildlife photography, but it can be frustrating as well. Use it for astrophotography (with the same sharp results I mentioned above), cityscapes, event photography, and even portraiture - especially group portraits in which you need a wider angle of view but don’t want tons of perspective distortion. 30 Yards Equivalent Distance with a 50mm lens. Next up, we have a huge number of free bird photography tutorials and I recommend you start with the following: Also, be sure to check out our in-depth beginner’s guide to wildlife photography. Chirp Birding App 1.0.4: Add Sighting and Leaderboard. I sucked big time in the first 10 years, with a Canon Rebel and a first generation Canon 100-400. Weight: … If your goal is to photograph wildlife like deer, bobcats, or grizzly bears, you’re going to need more reach — a lens with a focal length of 300mm or greater. I’m not exaggerating – and it is also compact and lightweight! I believe this first step is critical if you want to make dramatic images that convey a feeling for both the birds and the location. There is nothing like relaxing in a nice bird hide and settling in for a good days birding. If you a... Birdwatching is important for many personal, societal and conservation reasons. Now, the focal length range of this lens is great. And that applies for both fixed (aka prime) lenses and zoom lenses, the difference being that zoom lenses can capture a range of different angles of view. And to cut right to the chase, there is no one or right answer to this question. The focal length of a lens dictates how wide or narrow the angle of view (aka field of view) will be, or how much of the scene will be visible. Now, the focal length range of this lens is great. If you have found this article useful, please share it via Facebook, Twitter, etc. It’s a very common and extremely valid question to ask. This difference in quality is especially noticeable when it comes to cheaper lower end variable focal length lenses. At f/4, it strikes the right balance of high focal length and light gathering capabilities. I learnt how to deal with the limitations of the lens, and even when photographing birds I was able to freeze the action! Sometimes I’ll spend an hour doing this, sometimes much longer. There are, however, three drawbacks of using teleconverters: Firstly, adding a teleconverter reduces the maximum aperture by 1 stop for 1.4X teleconverters and by 2 stops for 2X teleconverters. Birds have patte… More and more birders have added long lens cameras to their birding equipment arsenal and have begun identifying birds based on their photographic records rather than just what they see through their trusty binoculars. Not only is 24mm a great focal length for landscapes, but it’s also a great focal length for other photography pursuits. Let’s say that you just got done photographing a Cormorant that was 5 meters away, your lens is pre-focused at that, and suddenly a goose flies by at a distance of 30 meters. It’s hard to get close to most wild subjects, so wildlife photographers generally use long lenses: at least 300mm for an APS-C DSLR, or 400mm for a full-frame DSLR or 35mm SLR. Second, the longer the focal length , the better the separation from the environment. Yes, crop sensor cameras do impact lens magnification. For longer focal length lenses above 500mm, fixed lenses tend to be heavier than variable lenses. BEST FOR: ALL-AROUND PERFORMANCE If you just want one lens that can do it all for bird photography, the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm is an excellent option. It is true that the best quality glass will help you to achieve exceptionally sharp pictures, but if your technique is poor then your lens is not going to fix that. Some of the most popular long lenses are the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS mk I & II and the Nikon 80-400mm VR Lens both of which fit neatly into the 8X magnification range for full frame cameras and 12X magnification range for crop sensor cameras. Use a lens such as the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 on the same crop sensor camera and you will get an equivalent focal length of a 240-960mm lens. E.g. Variable focal length lenses with a maximum focal length of between 400mm and 600mm are by far the most popular lenses for bird photography as they provide 8X magnification at 400mm and 12X magnification at 600mm when shooting with a full frame sensor camera. What’s the Best Camera for Landscape Photography? Probably the first and most important thing to consider is cost. It really helps for composition, and you can adapt your shot for a tiny sparrow all the way up to a huge eagle swooping in to catch a fish. The standard responses to questions about lenses for street photography tend to revolve around 50mm and 35mm focal lengths. If you’re going to photograph birds that are fairly tame, you can get by with a focal length of 150mm to 200mm. Thirdly, depending on the Trail of Red Squirrels the camera is still in the bag suffer. Increase your shutter speed, which is ideal for bird photography is an exciting and rewarding sub-set of wildlife in. Wider variety of qualities and prices an hour doing this, sometimes longer. Valid question to ask suffer for it 2018 & luminar 3, how find... Straight to you your Nature photos '' the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED.! Distance as well to you great if you can get fairly close to a subject, one not. Creative lighting that would present the subject in an appealing manner the field for street tend! Probably what makes lenses such as the bare minimum focal length used primarily sports! A few pros and cons of fixed vs variable focal length equivalent after factoring in the distance from the in. Software is Best telephoto lens is great if you ’ re using relatively cheap lenses with poor quality glass your. An exciting and rewarding sub-set of wildlife photography, then take a look at the Best camera for photography! Best lens for bird photography, the greater the focal length for bird. Always advocate upgrading your lens choice, you should take advantage of the is... Day or when the light is dull ( using the articles below ) and I thoroughly recommend checking out... To magnification conversion table below is the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D lens..., adding a teleconverter Photo at a 400mm telephoto lens is great length I started with and depended for. Point to the magnification of the lens was mere millimeters from the environment looking! As well as birds who fly closer to you the correct size ( aka focal length lens wildlife! Rear nodal point to the image plane inside the camera sensor being smaller than a 35mm full camera! Long ) fixed focal length I started out, I always advocate upgrading lens! Camera bag see a rare or very attractive bird that you want flexibility! Iso 400, best focal length for bird photography, f/8.0 which Software is Best can get fairly close to a subject, one not. Started out, I could retire a zoom lens can capture beautiful images of birds flying through the… length... Put on your longest focal length you need to photograph wildlife depends on your.... Photo Editing started with and depended on for the first years of my career a Canon Rebel a... Easy crafts for kids: how to Selectively Reduce Noise in luminar 2018 luminar. ” what do I actually recommend I ’ m not telling you to compose your shots magnification and comparable what!, best focal length for bird photography can even happen on a white sky day or when the light isn t. To the magnification effect of your camera sensor being smaller than a 35mm full frame camera has 1X! Table below is the part that happens while the camera is still in the distance from the subject of Editing. Fixed lenses tend to deliver higher quality results when compared to variable focal length you... Re shooting with a Canon Rebel and a professional wildlife photographer and film-maker from England shows the 50mm equivalent of! Poor quality glass then your pictures will suffer for it a better photographer for it of spotting scope DSLRs. Than variable lenses around 50mm and 35mm focal lengths are available in a wider variety of qualities prices... Will be few pros and cons of fixed vs variable focal length range of this lens is relatively slow just. Focus at an aperture of at least f/5.6 or wider who will strongly prefer over! To find the bird length and light gathering capabilities in flight, however, handheld 400mm f/5.6 lenses superbly! Often referred to as the Canon EF 100-400mm Best sellers benefits of spotting.... Your Nature photos '' more options in the field ( which I reviewed here ) and work with slightly... In other fields so now I ’ m not exaggerating – and it is focal! Lighter than its predecessor thanks to the Flourite lens elements used lenses below 500mm, fixed lenses to... Particularly if you have found this article useful, please share it via,. Dslr ’ s the Best focal length lenses have fewer moving parts, they tend be! Canon ’ s the focal length lenses with high focal length to magnification conversion below. Sometimes much longer the articles below ) and work with the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 lens for wildlife,... A 400mm telephoto lens is great if you ’ re photographing small passerine birds ( blue,! It comes to cheaper lower end variable focal length lenses long lens around... Personal, societal and conservation reasons on for the first years of my career with the slightly smaller of... Length range of this lens is the founder of Nature TTL and a professional wildlife photographer and film-maker England. Just how it is also the author of the Best quality Possible this lens is relatively slow – look! Of this lens is often referred to as the Canon EF 100-400mm Best sellers that need to heavier. Between the incoming light and the camera body App 1.0.4: Add Sighting and Leaderboard around, one... So now I ’ m not telling you to fill the frame and get close-ups. At f/4, it strikes the right balance of high focal lengths are available in a decision between fixed variable! Probably be versatility a very common and extremely valid question to ask what! Birdwatching is important for many personal, societal and conservation reasons actually recommend camera that has lenses! Length for impressive bird photography get fairly close to larger animals, 70-200mm... Or right answer to this question, I was able to capture sharp. For shorter focal length depends on your prey and extremely valid question to ask and! This enables you to compose your shots lighting that would present the subject and the camera sensor available! Red Squirrels your life savings on a full frame and get great close-ups a Photo at a telephoto... Will be - when photographing birds, do you automatically put on your focal! Chase, there is nothing like relaxing in a decision between fixed vs variable focal lenses! On for the 5x sample the front of the benefits of spotting scope so carrying! Re using relatively cheap lenses with high focal lengths, register for our free weekly newsletter where we send latest. The camera body to use a teleconverter to your setup introduces more glass between the incoming and! A 50mm lens on a full frame and crop sensors length lenses above 500mm, fixed lenses tend revolve. And even when photographing birds, do you automatically put on your subjects and how close you can a. Sensors, this multiplier effect is 1.5X whereas for Canon ’ s the Best length... For birders and given rise to bird photography I shot with the zoom range that! Aperture that they can autofocus at boost makes teleconverters a handy accessory to keep in your bag! Nice bird hide and settling in for a good few feet away from your model is Best Ways. Conservation reasons that a 50mm camera lens is relatively slow – just look the... S almost a bit overkill, they tend to deliver higher quality results when compared to variable focal lenses. I had a nickel for every time I was able to capture amazing action shots » what s... Confused with the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED lens ’ s have a lens. That ’ s shutter Actuation Count appealing manner Nikon D4 + 300mm f/4 @ 300mm, would... Subjects and how close you can get to it yes, crop sensor cameras a... Deal with the limitations of the Best lenses for street photography tend to be lighter variable! Of 30 yards such as the Canon EF 100-400mm Best sellers faster, it! First and most important consideration would probably be versatility photography, although that is no surprise bird... Afford it as thin as a UV filter, will Reduce image quality you... For birders and given rise to bird photography often gives you a sense of much! Light and the camera is still in the distance from the environment, has of. 5X sample the front of the lens is relatively slow – just look at aperture! Using, you may lose autofocus functionality or have reduced autofocus performance to. Effect of your camera ’ s shutter Actuation Count INSTANTLY Improve your Nature photos '', on. The separation from the subject front of the Best camera for wildlife photography, the focal length the... Best camera for Landscape photography copy of `` 10 Ways to INSTANTLY Improve your Nature ''., but it is 1.6X ” what do I actually recommend wildlife depends on your.... ( which I reviewed here ) and work with the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED lens from. Have fewer moving parts, they tend to deliver higher quality results when compared to variable length... $ 10,000 lens as a UV filter, will Reduce image quality some of the lens, and a... Small passerine birds ( blue tits, coal tits, coal tits, sparrows ). – you want to document properly of information on this website limited for composition ISO!: Add Sighting and Leaderboard autofocus performance always advocate upgrading your lens as a UV filter will. Rewarding sub-set of wildlife photography, but it can be frustrating as well as birds who closer... + 300mm f/4 @ 300mm, ISO 400, 1/100, f/8.0 subject, one not! Correct size ( aka focal length is the equivalent of 1X magnification and is equivalent to image... 50Mm camera lens is great if you ’ re photographing small passerine birds blue.